Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 127274
gdb string "Error while reading shared library symbols" disrupts debugging
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:45 EST
Description of problem:
When you debug an app that loads shared libraries in kdevelop,
gdb will throw the "Error while reading shared library symbols"
and kdevelop thinks this is a terminal error and disrupts the
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run kdevelop
2. Start the debugger on an app that has shared libaries
3. Kdevelop will throw an error dialog and disrupt the debugging process.
no debugging joy.
happily debugging an app.
Created attachment 101641 [details]
catch some gdb strings that are non-error conditions.
Created attachment 101642 [details]
spec file that adds the gdb_shared_library patch in.
I didn't know if I new source for kdevelop would make be rebuild all
of KDE (which I don't really feel like doing).
So I created a patch for this problem from source on the kdevelop site.
Follow these steps if you just want to use my patch to "get by the
moment" and get on with your debugging.
1. rpm -Uvh libselinux-devel-1.11.4-1
kdevelop won't build without it.
2. rpm -Ivh kdevelop-3.0.3-1.src.rpm
3. download the attached gdb_shared_library.patch to
4. download the attached kdevelop.spec to
/usr/src/redhat/packages/SPEC (overwrite the existing one)
5. login as root and change to /usr/src/redhat/packages/SPEC
6. rpmbuild -bb kdevelop.spec
7. wait 30 minutes or so for it to build
8. change to /usr/src/redhat/packages/RPMS/i386
9. rpm -Uvh --force kdevelop-3.0.3-1.i386.rpm
hello. i'm a newbie and i followed your steps exactly, until step 6.
after a few minutes, it exits from building with the message:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lselinux
can u tell me what can i do next? thank you verry much
i'm sorry that i bothered, but i figured out. i had to make a soft
link in /lib:
ln -s libselinux.so.1 libselinux.so
the new kdevelop-3.1.0 will include this patch file. Thanks