Bug 1277445 - Having a simple LO odt-file opening very slowly in F23 in gnome sessions
Summary: Having a simple LO odt-file opening very slowly in F23 in gnome sessions
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: libreoffice
Version: 23
Hardware: x86_64
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
urgent
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Caolan McNamara
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2015-11-03 10:42 UTC by Joachim Backes
Modified: 2015-12-03 20:20 UTC (History)
11 users (show)

Fixed In Version: libreoffice-5.0.3.2-11.fc23 libreoffice-5.0.3.2-10.fc23
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2015-12-03 20:20:12 UTC
Type: Bug


Attachments (Terms of Use)
The odt doc making problems (19.80 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
2015-11-03 10:42 UTC, Joachim Backes
no flags Details

Description Joachim Backes 2015-11-03 10:42:41 UTC
Created attachment 1088911 [details]
The odt doc making problems

Description of problem:
Having a simple odt file which takes a long time to open. The same file opens  fast in F22 under LO 4.4.5.2-3

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
libreoffice-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64

How reproducible:
always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Double click on ODT-Doc
2.
3.

Actual results:
Don't see any progress bar during opening, then an empty LO desktop appears, then after some seconds, I see the doc.

Expected results:
Same performance as in F22

Additional info:

Comment 1 Joachim Backes 2015-11-03 10:52:08 UTC
For checking the described behaviour, please download  the doc first completely, then try to open it. Otherwise, if saying "Open by Libreoffice" in the Firefox download dialog, the described behaivour does not appear!But when I download the attachment into some local directory, then it open very slowly too!

Comment 2 Joachim Backes 2015-11-03 11:17:09 UTC
Opening a gnome-terminal and then running "libreoffice <document>", I get some messages:

W: Unknown node under /registry/extlang: deprecated
W: Unknown node under /registry/grandfathered: comments
W: Unknown node under /registry/grandfathered: comments


Don't know whether this important?

Comment 3 Joachim Backes 2015-11-03 11:39:56 UTC
Forgetting to ay the the described behaviour appears only in gnome or gnome classic sessions.

If logging in into xfce or lxde or openbox sessions, the document is opend very fast (as expected).

Comment 4 Joachim Backes 2015-11-03 13:32:14 UTC
Using abiword instead of LO writer will open the document very fast, even in gnome desktop environment!

Comment 5 David Tardon 2015-11-03 13:55:10 UTC
(In reply to Joachim Backes from comment #2)
> Opening a gnome-terminal and then running "libreoffice <document>", I get
> some messages:
> 
> W: Unknown node under /registry/extlang: deprecated
> W: Unknown node under /registry/grandfathered: comments
> W: Unknown node under /registry/grandfathered: comments

These are harmless.

Comment 6 Caolan McNamara 2015-11-03 15:01:56 UTC
what's the output of

rpm -qa | grep libreoffice

Comment 7 Joachim Backes 2015-11-03 15:55:32 UTC
ibreoffice-langpack-de-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-pdfimport-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-base-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-core-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-impress-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-xsltfilter-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-opensymbol-fonts-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.noarch
libreoffice-filters-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-math-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-draw-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-pyuno-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-emailmerge-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-writer-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-writer2latex-1.0.2-17.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-graphicfilter-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-ure-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64
libreoffice-calc-5.0.3.2-1.fc23.x86_64

Comment 8 Caolan McNamara 2015-11-04 12:15:13 UTC
Not gtk3 related anyway, so can rule that out

Comment 9 Adam Buraczewski 2015-11-12 09:56:57 UTC
I can confirm this behaviour in Fedora 23 + LibreOffice 5.0.3.2, but not only when opening existing documents but also when starting a fresh Writer instance.

How to reproduce:
1. Close all other instances of LibreOffice
2. libreoffice --writer   OR   start a new Writer document in LibreOffice
3. new Writer window shows
4. Entire X Window hangs for 1-2 minutes (depending on the computer) but mouse pointer can be moved and changes shape depending on the place on the screen, no other applications can be used during this time

This happens only for Writer, other components (Calc, Impress) are working as in Fedora 22.

I tried to delete the entire profile in .config/libreoffice directory as well as disabling/enabling Java and hardware optimizations in LibreOffice options.

Comment 10 Joachim Backes 2015-11-12 10:10:21 UTC
(In reply to Adam Buraczewski from comment #9)
> I can confirm this behaviour in Fedora 23 + LibreOffice 5.0.3.2, but not
> only when opening existing documents but also when starting a fresh Writer
> instance.
> 
> How to reproduce:
> 1. Close all other instances of LibreOffice
> 2. libreoffice --writer   OR   start a new Writer document in LibreOffice

I cannot confirm the delay length: Starting LO in the manner you described takes some (few) seconds (3-6).

But (during this period): the window's scrollbar hangs.

> 3. new Writer window shows
> 4. Entire X Window hangs for 1-2 minutes (depending on the computer) but
> mouse pointer can be moved and changes shape depending on the place on the
> screen, no other applications can be used during this time
> 
> This happens only for Writer, other components (Calc, Impress) are working
> as in Fedora 22.

I can confirm this special behaviour (that means: only writer docs are concerned).

> 
> I tried to delete the entire profile in .config/libreoffice directory as
> well as disabling/enabling Java and hardware optimizations in LibreOffice
> options.

Didn't try this!

JB

Comment 11 Adam Buraczewski 2015-11-13 19:22:05 UTC
> I cannot confirm the delay length: Starting LO in the manner you described
> takes some (few) seconds (3-6).

In my case it really depends on the particular machine, even though the Fedora setup (packages installed, configuration) is the same. At one of them the Writer start time was about 20-30 seconds, at the other - over 1.5 minutes.  In both cases - much longer than LibreOffice 4.x.  I am using standard Fedora 23 upgraded from 22 with Gnome 3 (no Wayland etc.) and LibreOffice 5.0.3.2. The .config/libreoffice directory was removed entirely and no special environment variables are set.

The list of installed packages related to LibreOffice:

Installed Packages
libreoffice.x86_64                                  1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-TexMaths.x86_64                         0.41-2.fc23         @fedora 
libreoffice-base.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-calc.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-core.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-draw.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-emailmerge.x86_64                       1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-filters.x86_64                          1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-graphicfilter.x86_64                    1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-gtk3.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-impress.x86_64                          1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-langpack-de.x86_64                      1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-langpack-es.x86_64                      1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-langpack-fr.x86_64                      1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-langpack-pl.x86_64                      1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-langpack-ru.x86_64                      1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-math.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-ogltrans.x86_64                         1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-opensymbol-fonts.noarch                 1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-pdfimport.x86_64                        1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-pyuno.x86_64                            1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-sdk.x86_64                              1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-sdk-doc.x86_64                          1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-ure.x86_64                              1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-writer.x86_64                           1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates
libreoffice-xsltfilter.x86_64                       1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23    @updates


> I can confirm this special behaviour (that means: only writer docs are
> concerned).

Yes, in my case Impress & Calc documents are opened instantly.

I have just found a partial solution to my problems: setting SAL_USR_VCLPLUGIN environment variable to gtk3, namely:

export SAL_USR_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3
libreoffice --write

This speeds up things a lot (startup time decreased from 1.5 minutes to 10-15 seconds). However, Writer still starts slower than Calc or Impress.  Any ideas? Maybe the problem is not tied to LibreOffice but the graphical environment (Gnome and GTK)?

Comment 12 Joachim Backes 2015-11-14 06:33:00 UTC
(In reply to Adam Buraczewski from comment #11)
> > I cannot confirm the delay length: Starting LO in the manner you described
> > takes some (few) seconds (3-6).
> 
> In my case it really depends on the particular machine, even though the
> Fedora setup (packages installed, configuration) is the same. At one of them
> the Writer start time was about 20-30 seconds, at the other - over 1.5
> minutes.  In both cases - much longer than LibreOffice 4.x.  I am using
> standard Fedora 23 upgraded from 22 with Gnome 3 (no Wayland etc.) and
> LibreOffice 5.0.3.2. The .config/libreoffice directory was removed entirely
> and no special environment variables are set.
> 
> The list of installed packages related to LibreOffice:
> 
> Installed Packages
> libreoffice.x86_64                                  1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-TexMaths.x86_64                         0.41-2.fc23        
> @fedora 
> libreoffice-base.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-calc.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-core.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-draw.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-emailmerge.x86_64                       1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-filters.x86_64                          1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-graphicfilter.x86_64                    1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-gtk3.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-impress.x86_64                          1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-langpack-de.x86_64                      1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-langpack-es.x86_64                      1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-langpack-fr.x86_64                      1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-langpack-pl.x86_64                      1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-langpack-ru.x86_64                      1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-math.x86_64                             1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-ogltrans.x86_64                         1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-opensymbol-fonts.noarch                 1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-pdfimport.x86_64                        1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-pyuno.x86_64                            1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-sdk.x86_64                              1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-sdk-doc.x86_64                          1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-ure.x86_64                              1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-writer.x86_64                           1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> libreoffice-xsltfilter.x86_64                       1:5.0.3.2-4.fc23   
> @updates
> 
> 
> > I can confirm this special behaviour (that means: only writer docs are
> > concerned).
> 
> Yes, in my case Impress & Calc documents are opened instantly.
> 
> I have just found a partial solution to my problems: setting
> SAL_USR_VCLPLUGIN environment variable to gtk3, namely:
> 
> export SAL_USR_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3
> libreoffice --write
> 
> This speeds up things a lot (startup time decreased from 1.5 minutes to
> 10-15 seconds). However, Writer still starts slower than Calc or Impress. 
> Any ideas? Maybe the problem is not tied to LibreOffice but the graphical
> environment (Gnome and GTK)?


I tested this, but on my box no speedup id´f setting this variable (I did in ~/.bashrc).

Comment 13 Adam Buraczewski 2015-11-16 12:51:12 UTC
> > export SAL_USR_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3
> > libreoffice --write
> > 
> > This speeds up things a lot (startup time decreased from 1.5 minutes to
> > 10-15 seconds). However, Writer still starts slower than Calc or Impress. 
> > Any ideas? Maybe the problem is not tied to LibreOffice but the graphical
> > environment (Gnome and GTK)?
> 
> I tested this, but on my box no speedup id´f setting this variable (I did in
> ~/.bashrc).

I am sorry, I made a typo.  The environment variable is named SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN.
BTW, there are other values which it can take: gtk, gtk3, gen, kde4, see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LibreOffice

Some forums advise to try all the values (I think that "gtk" is default under Gnome).

Anyway, as I wrote before, it helps but does not solve the issue.

Comment 14 Joachim Backes 2015-11-16 13:05:15 UTC
(In reply to Adam Buraczewski from comment #13)
> > > export SAL_USR_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3
> > > libreoffice --write
> > > 
> > > This speeds up things a lot (startup time decreased from 1.5 minutes to
> > > 10-15 seconds). However, Writer still starts slower than Calc or Impress. 
> > > Any ideas? Maybe the problem is not tied to LibreOffice but the graphical
> > > environment (Gnome and GTK)?
> > 
> > I tested this, but on my box no speedup id´f setting this variable (I did in
> > ~/.bashrc).
> 
> I am sorry, I made a typo.  The environment variable is named
> SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN.
> BTW, there are other values which it can take: gtk, gtk3, gen, kde4, see:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LibreOffice
> 
> Some forums advise to try all the values (I think that "gtk" is default
> under Gnome).
> 
> Anyway, as I wrote before, it helps but does not solve the issue.

Tanks for the hint, bot only "SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen" gives a tiny improvement.

Comment 15 Joachim Backes 2015-11-24 14:09:59 UTC
Still the same effect with libreoffice-5.0.3.2-6.fc23.x86_64 if opening the already attached odt doc.

Comment 16 Steven Bakker 2015-11-25 17:23:35 UTC
Hhi, I noticed that the whole desktop seems to be frozen when starting LO Writer (even without an existing document), and that gnome-shell is using 100% CPU for about 5 seconds. I've opened bug #1285480 against gnome-shell for this. Not sure which is the culprit here, but it sure is annoying.

Comment 17 Caolan McNamara 2015-11-26 16:06:26 UTC
its possible that some idle rework stuff that landed in master today addresses this. I'll have a look into ot

Comment 18 Fedora Update System 2015-12-01 11:51:38 UTC
libreoffice-5.0.3.2-10.fc23 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 23. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2015-8cdbd2bb12

Comment 19 David H. Gutteridge 2015-12-01 13:59:20 UTC
I've also experienced this issue. I've tested libreoffice-5.0.3.2-8.fc23 and libreoffice-5.0.3.2-10.fc23 builds and don't see any notable change in my case. The lag I hit isn't that long, perhaps 4-5 seconds normally, but the GUI is unresponsive during that time. I never experienced this with the 4.4.x series on Fedora 22.

Comment 20 Joachim Backes 2015-12-01 17:12:21 UTC
(In reply to David H. Gutteridge from comment #19)
> I've also experienced this issue. I've tested libreoffice-5.0.3.2-8.fc23 and
> libreoffice-5.0.3.2-10.fc23 builds and don't see any notable change in my
> case. The lag I hit isn't that long, perhaps 4-5 seconds normally, but the
> GUI is unresponsive during that time. I never experienced this with the
> 4.4.x series on Fedora 22.

For me, the speed gain is only little bit palpable, and less than I expected.

Both with LO-5.0.3.2-8.fc23 and LO-5.0.3.2-10.fc23

Only if LO is already running, then it seems that opening time is half-decent.

Comment 21 Fedora Update System 2015-12-01 22:30:12 UTC
libreoffice-5.0.3.2-10.fc23 has been pushed to the Fedora 23 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
$ su -c 'dnf --enablerepo=updates-testing update libreoffice'
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2015-8cdbd2bb12

Comment 22 Didier G 2015-12-02 03:37:20 UTC
Same problem: 

Black window during two or three seconds during opening running libreoffice-core-5.0.3.2-10.fc23.x86_64

Comment 23 Joachim Backes 2015-12-02 06:51:31 UTC
(In reply to Didier G from comment #22)
> Same problem: 
> 
> Black window during two or three seconds during opening running
> libreoffice-core-5.0.3.2-10.fc23.x86_64

Having no black window, but still some delay.

Comment 24 Caolan McNamara 2015-12-02 10:26:03 UTC
hmm, you know I wonder if the problem is the "Formatting" toolbar and that explains the speed diff from the readonly mode to normal mode.

If I disable (view->toolbar->formatting) and re-enable it, then I get the suspicious lag I think. So seems connected to one of those elements

Comment 25 Joachim Backes 2015-12-02 10:43:58 UTC
(In reply to Caolan McNamara from comment #24)
> hmm, you know I wonder if the problem is the "Formatting" toolbar and that
> explains the speed diff from the readonly mode to normal mode.
> 
> If I disable (view->toolbar->formatting) and re-enable it, then I get the
> suspicious lag I think. So seems connected to one of those elements

Checking this: disabling view->toolbar->formatting will indeed speed up LO a lot!

Comment 26 Caolan McNamara 2015-12-02 11:22:31 UTC
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/20349/ for upstream backport

Comment 27 Didier G 2015-12-02 19:23:40 UTC
(In reply to Caolan McNamara from comment #24)
> If I disable (view->toolbar->formatting) and re-enable it, then I get the
> suspicious lag I think. So seems connected to one of those elements

Bingo !

I did a test with view->toolbar->formatting disabled. In this case I have just a black window flashing half of second...

If I re-enabled view->toolbar->formatting I have the black window during two or three seconds...

Comment 28 Joachim Backes 2015-12-03 06:49:33 UTC
I tested: libreoffice-core-5.0.3.2-11.fc23.x86_64 will do the right thing: Now the startup is appreciable. Thanks four your efforts!

Comment 29 Didier G 2015-12-03 07:31:25 UTC
Same for me: libreoffice-core-5.0.3.2-11.fc23.x86_64 fixes the problem. Thanks for your job!

Comment 30 David H. Gutteridge 2015-12-03 19:33:02 UTC
Confirming it's fixed for me as well, thanks.

Comment 31 Fedora Update System 2015-12-03 20:19:57 UTC
libreoffice-5.0.3.2-10.fc23 has been pushed to the Fedora 23 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.