Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1280426
virtual folders corrupted
Last modified: 2016-12-20 10:41:20 EST
Description of problem:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create or rename a virtual folder
2. Close thunderbird
3. Open thunderbird
Virtual folder has first 4 characters of name given to it, plus an 8 hexadecimal digit suffix.
Virtual folder has the exact name given to it.
Can you please attach a screenshot of the wrong folder? Thanks.
(In reply to Martin Stransky from comment #1)
> Can you please attach a screenshot of the wrong folder? Thanks.
It's not the contents of the folder that is corrupted, it's the name of the folder. As an example, I just created a virtual folder named "From: Foobar". Immediately after creating the folder it shows up correctly. But, on disk, the name becomes "From8206f098.msf". And, if I close and reopen Thunderbird, the name in the user interface becomes "From8206f098".
As a workaround, I found that if I:
1. Close Thunderbird
2. Rename the .msf file correctly
3. Delete the virtualFolders.dat file
4. Open Thunderbird
The folder will be named correctly.
I suppose I could edit the virtualFolders.dat file instead of deleting it, but, it appears to be rebuilt if I just delete it.
This just started happening two weeks ago. I had "upgraded" from F22 to F23, and Fedora included a pre-release version of Xorg that changed the ABI and made the commercial nVidia driver incompatible, leaving my only choice to try to use the crappy nouveau driver. And, as usual with the nouveau driver, the input periodically completely locks up, requiring a hard power switch reboot. I'm not sure if something in my Thunderbird configuration files/database got corrupted that is causing this, or if this a problem in the Thunderbird binary/associated shared objects. It would be nice if there was a utility that would do a sanity check on the configuration files/database.
Hope this helps.
Oops, that didn't come out the way I intended. When I wrote:
"I'm not sure if something in my Thunderbird configuration files/database got corrupted that is causing this, or if this a problem in the Thunderbird binary/associated shared objects."
I meant the problem with Thunderbird, not the problem with the nouveau driver (which is another bug report).
This message is a reminder that Fedora 23 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 4 (four) weeks from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 23. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as EOL if it remains open with a Fedora 'version'
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version'
to a later Fedora version.
Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that we were not
able to fix it before Fedora 23 is end of life. If you would still like
to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it against a later version
of Fedora, you are encouraged change the 'version' to a later Fedora
version prior this bug is closed as described in the policy above.
Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.
Fedora 23 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2016-12-20. Fedora 23 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version. If you
are unable to reopen this bug, please file a new report against the
current release. If you experience problems, please add a comment to this
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.