Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1281519
[Docs]: RHOSP node network restrictions
Last modified: 2016-05-03 01:09:13 EDT
Description of problem:
If the RHEL-OSP node is not setup correctly, the result may not clearly indicate the root cause. We should add setup information to help the customers since this may be an involved process for them.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Misconfigure node
2. Register Nodes in Sat 6 (Deployment > OpenStack)
Register node hangs at 90%, then errors with "Error, cannot convert nil to String"
Better error messages
Restrictions identified so far:
* Client (node) Boot device must be only PXE (no local drives)
* Client (node) PXE NIC must be the one connected to the RHEL-OSP (provisioning) network
* PXE client (node) must be able to contact PXE server on RHEL-OSP network (proper VLAN)
* PXE server must be functioning
Also note it may take an hour for Ironic to timeout in these cases
"Client (node) Boot device must be only PXE (no local drives)" was incorrect. Should be: "Client (node) Boot device must have PXE at a higher priority than local drives"
Asking jmontleo for review also
Documentation now available at: