Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1286675
[RFE] Support for VMWare vCloud as provider
Last modified: 2017-07-21 11:02:00 EDT
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
As a PaaS provider (based on Openshift) we want to be able to use
Cloudforms to manage the underlying IaaS platforms(currently vMware
vCloud), so that, we can use it for chargeback, service catalog,
brokering, performance management and scaling.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
We are currently hosting our OpenShift based PaaS platform in VMware
vCloud. As vCloud tenant, our access to the platform is restricted to a
single vOrg with the role of vorg Administrator. Our tenants are
separated based on vDCs in our vOrg.
Cloudforms v4.0 supports Openshift and Kubernetes as
providers however, for our use-case we do not get much value-add by using CloudForms, unless it is also able to manage/monitor/scale the underlying vCloud platform.
This will also make it easier for us to host our PaaS platform on other
internal IaaS platforms in the future, if we can continue using the same
management tool for all of them.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
By CloudForms adding another provider- a vCloud provider to its list of already existing providers.
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
CloudForms can connect to a vcloud vorg using vorg administrator credentials.
Using CloudForms, one can then perform all Iaas platform specific actions like provisioning org networks, vApps, vms, configure edge gateways, set firewall rules, get VM level statistics, create snapshots of VMs.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
John, can you help with prioritizing this with the other vmware requirements?
A large portion of functionality is going out with cfme-5.7 so I'm going to mark this BZ resolved and we can open RFE BZs for the remaining features (e.g. metrics).