Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 128828
Bad: "vacation" is missing and users complain
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:07:03 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4.1)
Description of problem:
Users want to enable a vacation responder to their mail. For years
they have used the "vacation(1)" program, which is a component of the
sendmail package. We used to compile and install sendmail on our
Compaq Tru64 Unix systems. We have made the change to Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3 and find that this program is not included in the
I tried to compile and run the "vacation(1)" program from the latest
sendmail source (from sendmail.org). The program compiled but would
not run properly. This is double-plus ungood.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Obtain the sendmail source from sendmail.org
2. compile the code
3. install "vacation(1)"
4. initialize the "vacation(1)" database
5. configure ~/.forward to use "vacation(1)"
6. watch how "vacation(1)" is not used, the "vacation(1)" database is
not updated and look for error messages in /var/log/maillog
Actual Results: The program does not work.
Expected Results: I should get an "out of the office" e-mail response
to e-mail sent to the account configured to use "vacation(1)"
What happens if you 'ln -s /usr/bin/vacation /etc/smrsh'? That method
does work with the vacation source from vacation.sourceforge.net.
But, it *would* be nice if RH compiled vacation into their sendmail
RPM and made it work.
No I am sorry, but vacation will not make it into the sendmail package.
Closing as "NOT A BUG".
I also upgraded to Sendmail Version 8.13.4 from the sendmail in Redhat 9. Found
a number of tweak before getting things to work.
1. I need to add below lines to Site/site.config.m4 to comile SASL with
sendmail. I added the kerberos directory to solve a nmber of errors complaining
"krb5.h" file not found.
dnl ### Changes for SASL
2. I erase a number of lines in site.m4.config about PH support which generates
3. smrsh bin directory is changed from /etc/smrsh to /usr/adm/sm.bin as default.
I needed to add APPENDDEF(`confENVDEF', `-DSMRSH_CMDDIR=\"/etc/smrsh\"') to
Makefile.m4 of smrsh directory in order to change it back to /etc/smrsh.
4. Finally, the vacation program could work once I su to the user and manually
type "vacation -i". A .vacation.db file is created.
It took me more than a week's work to get all stuff working. Hard work!