Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1288539
[Tracker][RFE] Provide man pages for all Satellite 6 commands and config files
Last modified: 2018-02-16 08:24:07 EST
1. Proposed title of this feature request
Provide man pages for all satellite 6 commands and config files
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
Some commands like katello-installer, capsule-certs-gen, hammer,...
do have no man page but only --help or --full-help and in case
documentation for $config file is needed one has to look in online
documentation, sometimes even upstream which makes it hard to understand
which value is provided by Red Hat then
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
Aside the face that man pages are good practice to have for _all_
commands _and_ config files it is not always possible to have a look at
documentation on line, further on documentations and --help pages are
often lacking examples which normally can be found in man pages. Especially
for conf* files it is sometime not easy to understand what setting should/could be
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
man pages for all commands provided by satellite should be available as well as
for configuration files. In order to get an interim solution it would be one possibility
to have man pages pointing to web pages where detailed information is available which
would at least for config files help to understand them better
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
man $command ; man $config_file
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
Section Number and Name:
Describe the issue:
Suggestions for improvement:
What is the correct BZ component for requesting man pages form engineering?
Should we turn this into a tracker bug and then clone for every package containing a command?
We dont really have a good doc for this. Ack to using this as a tracker.
Bug 1420341 - [RFE] Provide man pages for satellite-installer
Hammer has only one very brief man page with a usage message.
Bug 1420349 - [RFE] Provide man page for katello-certs-check
Bug 1420353 - [RFE] Provide man page capsule-certs-generate