Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1288666
fluentd (td-agent) on Nodes is not sending logs, following docs to set up.
Last modified: 2016-09-29 22:16:20 EDT
Description of problem:
Following the docs for logging aggregation does not work with 3.0
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. follow steps in docs: https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.0/admin_guide/aggregate_logging.html
2. Make sure the firewall is not blocking port 24230
3. Make sure the master log host is listening to port 24230
No logs are seen in
docker logs seen in master logs
The problem is not actually reproducible by following the steps in the document pointed at.
Note that the documentation refers to a specific RPM version: td-agent-2.2.0-0.
This bug was raised from a support request where a newer version had been installed: td-agent-2.2.1-0.el7
The differences in these packages are not documented in the package's [emtpy] changelog, but one of them is in the agent's init script (/etc/init.d/td-agent). In package version 2.2.0-0, configuring an emtpy DAEMON_ARGS= in /etc/sysconfig/td-agent has the side effect of running the agent as 'root'. In package version 2.2.1-0.el7 this has changed though, and with the same configuration the agent runs as user "td-user", and therefore it does have access to container logs in /var/lib/docker.
For td-agent-2.2.1-0.el7, adding this to /etc/sysconfig/td-agent avoids the problem by running as root (like the 2.2.0-0 version):
I'm not sure if this should be turned into a documentation bug or not:
- as mentioned, with the steps as they are in the current version of the docs I could not reproduce the problem
- these packages are not shipped or maintained by Red Hat
- moving forward, OSE 3.1 provides additional facilities for aggregated logging: https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.1/install_config/aggregate_logging.html
For all this I'm closing this as "not a bug". Please amend/reopen as appropriate if needed.