Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1293623
[Docs] [SHE] Upgrading a RHEL-Based Self-Hosted Engine is wrong - ignores RHEL7 and wrong repos
Last modified: 2016-02-09 01:25:14 EST
Description of problem:
Upgrading a RHEL-Based Self-Hosted Engine and Upgrading Additional Hosts in a RHEL-Based Self-Hosted Environment are wrong.
The former does not mention RHEL7 and both refer to wrong repo:
but if you compare with '3.1. Subscribing to the Required Entitlements' then it is evident it should be:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. just compare what repos are in required entitlements and what repos are in upgrade parts
upgrade parts ignore RHEL7 and refer to 'engine' repos for beta
upgrade parts should contain RHEL7 repo info and valid repos
Assigning to Julie for review.
Thanks for filing this bug. On further investigation, I think we should differentiate between two use cases of upgrading RHEL hosts for 3.6:
1. Upgrading from a 6.x host to 7.x host for RHEV 3.6 -> need to tell customers how to upgrade or re-install the base OS to 7 first before enabling the 3.6 repos. Could you confirm what is the recommended method or what methods are supported?
* Can user use upgrade button in the Admin Portal to upgrade a 6 host to 7 or reinstall a host as 7?
* If user chooses to upgrade their 6 to 7, should they follow the recommendations in the RHEL guide https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/chap-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migration_Planning_Guide-Upgrading.html#chap-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migration_Planning_Guide-Upgrading_from_RHEL6
2. Upgrading from 7.x to the latest 7.x for RHEV 3.6. -> just need to update the procedure with the right repos.
(In reply to Julie from comment #3)
> Hi Jiri,
> Thanks for filing this bug. On further investigation, I think we should
> differentiate between two use cases of upgrading RHEL hosts for 3.6:
> 1. Upgrading from a 6.x host to 7.x host for RHEV 3.6 -> need to tell
> customers how to upgrade or re-install the base OS to 7 first before
> enabling the 3.6 repos. Could you confirm what is the recommended method or
> what methods are supported?
there's WIP in this area, it should work this way - first cluster has to support rhel6 and rhel7.
> * Can user use upgrade button in the Admin Portal to upgrade a 6 host to
> 7 or reinstall a host as 7?
> * If user chooses to upgrade their 6 to 7, should they follow the
> recommendations in the RHEL guide
there's WIP in this area, currently it seems we will support removal, reinstall, re-adding the host while its cluster would support mixed RHEL versions.
> 2. Upgrading from 7.x to the latest 7.x for RHEV 3.6. -> just need to update
> the procedure with the right repos.
> Kind regards,
i was mostly complaining about bad repos, not about upgrade/migration procedure.
Documentation available at: