Description of problem
The design of "Select Hosts" page in "Create Cluster" wizard is misleading
and unfriendly for first time user of Sky Ring web interface.
Version-Release number of selected component
# rpm -qa | grep rhscon
Steps to Reproduce
1. Install skyring on server and prepare few hosts for cluster setup
2. Accept all nodes
3. Select "Clusters" from left pane menu, start "Create Cluster" wizard
4. Stop on 2nd page of the wizard called "Select Hosts"
On this page, user can see list of hosts with some icons and additional
information (see img 01 which shows the default state of this page).
Icon for Ceph OSD role (OSD):
- it's not visible at all by default (or in other words, not-selected OSD icon
is invisible), one has to click in the empty space (which is quite unlikely)
or click "Select All" (img 04)
- when clicked, it's visible as checked box symbol (img 03)
- doesn't have any title text with an explanation
Icon for the accepted state:
- looks like little green circle with check symbol (this is very similar to
selected OSD role)
- has no title text or any other explanation, so it's completely puzzling
for someone who accepted all hosts before starting "Create Cluster" wizard
Icon for Ceph Monitor role (MON):
- looks like LCD computer screen or iMac computer (it has nothing to do
with Ceph MON daemon, with the exception of the name, which I guess
is not a good/clear enough here)
- the very same icon is used for "Hosts" tab in left menubar, where it
represents a machine (img 02)
- the very same icon is used for "Discovered Hosts" popup windows in the
top black panel, where it represents a machine (img 02)
- is placed in the end of host entry (so it's on the other side compared to
icon of Ceph OSD role)
- it's displayed in barelly visible grey color by default (this is supposed
to mean that the role is not applied, but this is apparent only when you
compare this state with iconn for selected MON role) (see img 05)
- the only suggestion what this icon does is it's title text, which states:
"Use this host as Ceph monitor"
- it can be enabled only by clicking on it
Now I try to highlight most striking issues:
Most people would assume that monitor icon has no special meaning and that it
just signifies that the entry represents a single host (it is used
to represent a machine in 2 other places after all).
Icon for accepted state and selected OSD role looks similar, but what
information would we like to convey by this choice? This just makes missing
MON role more likely.
Why do we put icons for OSD and MON role on the *opposite sides* of a host
entry? What does that mean? Again, this just makes missing MON role more
The only hint that one can assign MON to host(s) on this page
is present in image title text (so that one has to hover cursor over it) of an
icon which will be most likely completely missed.
The only way to assign MON role to host is to click on the icon which is
most likely to be completely missed.
I'm not a designer, but here are some of my suggestions:
* change icon for OSD role, something as self explanatory as icon which reads
"OSD" would be much better
* change icon for MON role, something as self explanatory as icon which reads
"MON" would be much better
* make icon for OSD and MON more similar (so that its clear that both
represent similar concept - assigned ceph role)
* make icon for unselected OSD visible - grey color similar to current grey
unselected MON iMac icon would be enough
* add title texts with quick explanation for all host icons
(OSD, MON, fingerprint and accepted-state)
* move MON icon next to OSD one
* add some quick text which would explain what is going on in this step,
which would mention both OSD and MON roles
Created attachment 1115294 [details]
Created attachment 1115295 [details]
Created attachment 1115296 [details]
Created attachment 1115297 [details]
Created attachment 1115298 [details]
There should be also opposite button for *Select All*, something like *Unselect All / Reset*.
and it is redesigned and it is more usable than design at screenshots.
Missing feature from comment #7.
As per the discussion, moving to ON_QA. Please raise a RFE if you want to have this fetaure added to USM
I filed bug 1360204 as RFE.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.