Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1299185
qemu-img created VMDK images lead to "Not a supported disk format (sparse VMDK version too old)"
Last modified: 2016-03-17 12:19:46 EDT
+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #1299116 +++
Description of problem:
qemu-img only creates broken VMDK image files that can't be used for within
an OVA file for importing a virtual machine into VMware vSphere/ESXi. Every
VMDK file created by qemu-img leads during import to the error message:
Not a supported disk format (sparse VMDK version too old)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
qemu-img-2.5.0-3.fc24.x86_64 (rebuilt from Fedora Rawhide for RHEL 7)
VMware vSphere Client, Version 5.1.0, Build 1064113
VMware ESXi, Version 5.1.0, Build 1065491, German-000
Everytime, see above and below.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. cd /tmp/
2. dd if=/dev/zero of=qemu-img-bug.img bs=1M count=1
3. qemu-img convert qemu-img-bug.img -O vmdk \
-o adapter_type=lsilogic,subformat=streamOptimized,compat6 \
4. tar cf qemu-img-bug.ova qemu-img-bug.ovf qemu-img-bug.vmdk
5. Try to import qemu-img-bug.ova into VMware -> fails with error above
6. printf '\x03' | dd conv=notrunc of=qemu-img-bug.vmdk bs=1 seek=$((0x4))
7. tar cf qemu-img-bug.ova qemu-img-bug.ovf qemu-img-bug.vmdk
8. Try to import qemu-img-bug.ova into VMware -> works as expected now
qemu-img created VMDK images lead to "Not a supported disk format (sparse
VMDK version too old)".
qemu-img created VMDK images should not lead to any error message during
import into VMware.
Credit for printf/dd combination at point 6 goes to Radoslav Gerganov.
Fix was posted upstream, but isn't in git yet:
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 24 development cycle.
Changing version to '24'.
More information and reason for this action is here:
This was fixed with the last qemu builds in feb, just forgot to close this