Bug 1303249 - Kernel RPM packages built from source fail to install due to wrong requirements: 'kysm' instead of kernel'
Kernel RPM packages built from source fail to install due to wrong requiremen...
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
Classification: Red Hat
Component: redhat-rpm-config (Show other bugs)
Unspecified Linux
unspecified Severity unspecified
: rc
: ---
Assigned To: Florian Festi
Karel Srot
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2016-01-29 17:37 EST by Oliver Kurth
Modified: 2016-05-10 21:03 EDT (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2016-05-10 21:03:55 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)
repclace LANG=C with LC_ALL=C (2.23 KB, patch)
2016-01-29 18:19 EST, Oliver Kurth
no flags Details | Diff

  None (edit)
Description Oliver Kurth 2016-01-29 17:37:36 EST
Description of problem:

Kernel RPM packages built from source fail to install due to wrong requirements: 'kysm' instead of kernel'

The issue looks very similar to bugs https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=642768 and https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=767738

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
Set LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 and build kmod package from source, eg:

rpmbuild --rebuild vmware-tools-pvscsi-
and try to install the resultin binary rpm. It  will fail.

Actual results:
error: Failed dependencies:
 ksym(free_pages) = 0x4302d0eb is needed by kmod-vmware-tools-pvscsi-0:
 ksym(scsi_add_device) = 0x9d8c0f66 is needed by kmod-vmware-tools-pvscsi-0:

Expected results:
No failed depenencies on kernel symbols.

Additional info:

The issue can be fixed easily by replacing all occurrences of LANG=C with LC_ALL=C in /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/find-requires.ksyms
Comment 2 Oliver Kurth 2016-01-29 18:19 EST
Created attachment 1119548 [details]
repclace LANG=C with LC_ALL=C

Attaching a patch that fixes the problem. All it does is s/LANG=C/LC_ALL=C/g.
Comment 6 Ľuboš Kardoš 2016-02-09 09:25:52 EST
Yes, we can fix it in 6.8.
Comment 9 Ľuboš Kardoš 2016-02-09 10:46:23 EST
The real problem here is:
    LANG=C join -t '\t' -j 1 ...

Delimiter '\t' is literally interpreted as '\t' and not as a tabulator. This confuses join command and it is not able to join input data correctly.

I replaced '\t' with $'\t' and to be 100% sure, I also added LC_LANG=C.

Fixed in redhat-rpm-config-9.0.3-48.el6
Comment 10 Ľuboš Kardoš 2016-02-09 10:47:11 EST
Comment 13 errata-xmlrpc 2016-05-10 21:03:55 EDT
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.