Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1303408
[RFE] Openstack integrated with VMware will cause wrong VM count on CF
Last modified: 2017-08-28 11:07:30 EDT
Description of problem: If you configure Openstack (Nova/Cinder) to use VMware vsphere and boot some instances, instances will as expected bootup as VMs on vmware's side, problem is CF doesn't detect that these are the same instance/vms and counts them twice. Once as an Openstack instance, then twice as a VM on vmware's side.
Same issue happens with Openstack Cinder volume, on vmware side a phantom VM is created, it's only used as a place holder for Cinder's volume, this VM will never be booted or used hence should probably not be counted as a "VM" on CF either.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: Every time.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install vmware vshere 5.5u3 (doesn't matter which version, as long as it works with Openstack), add one esxi server.
2. Install Openstack in my case used Kilo release, all in one deployment. In my case due to lack of resources installed this on a VM running inside VMware.
3. Configure Nova & Cinder to use VMware vSphere as backend.
4. Configure CF to monitor both Openstack & VMware.
5. Boot a VM on VMware's side, notice VM count on CF - should be 1 (or 2 if like me you also installed openstack on top of a vm inside vmware).
6. Boot an instance on Openstack, it should create a VM on vmware - now check CF VM count again, you'll notice it counted twice, once as an instance and again as a VM. CF doesn't detect that it's the same instance/vm and should only count it as a single instance (or vm).
7. Do the same test this time create a Cinder volume on Openstack's side, this will create a phantom VM on vmware, this too will be counted. This VM will never be used as a VM, never turned on or used other than as a resource, IMHO this too should not be counted as a regular VM.
CF counts Openstack and it's VM's on vmware side twice.
I'm guessing what should happen, maybe PM should answer, CF should be smart enough to detect that we are talking about the same instance/vm and not count them twice, same goes for Cinder volume the phantom vm shouldn't be counted.
Created attachment 1119907 [details]
Openstack conf files
This bug has been open for more than a year and is assigned to an older release of CloudForms.
If you would like to keep this Bugzilla open and if the issue is still present in the latest version of the product, please file a new Bugzilla which will be added and assigned to the latest release of CloudForms.