Bug 1305388 - Please upgrade to 7.6.x which supports open-source OpenCL drivers and GCC 6
Please upgrade to 7.6.x which supports open-source OpenCL drivers and GCC 6
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: boinc-client (Show other bugs)
24
Unspecified Linux
unspecified Severity unspecified
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Laurence Field
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-02-07 17:33 EST by Paul DeStefano
Modified: 2016-05-26 06:55 EDT (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: boinc-client-7.6.22-4.fc24 boinc-client-7.6.22-4.fc23
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2016-05-23 16:06:15 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Paul DeStefano 2016-02-07 17:33:31 EST
Description of problem:
Update Request.
I was just going to ask for  an upgrade since 7.6.x supports open-source OCL drivers (eg. Mesa) and current version 7.2.42 doesn't.  But, I also just found out that 7.2.x doesn't support GCC 6, so rebuilding with 7.6 is probably necessary before F24 freezes.
Comment 1 Paul DeStefano 2016-02-07 23:49:41 EST
Aside from the GCC 6 dependency, which is firm, there are two other fixes in other packages that are related to this requrest.  Please let me know if I should open separate bugs/requests for them.

1) 7.6 BOINC manager requires wxWidgets 3.0.1, so that pkg will also need an update.

2) libclc has a bug tickled by at least one BOINC project's application.  A patch exists and has been tested.  This package also needs to be updated in order to achieve proper OCL support (for OSS drivers) as I'm requesting.
Comment 2 Germano Massullo 2016-02-08 03:43:33 EST
As far I can see from BOINC website, the lastest Linux stable version is still 7.2.42, so we need to wait for 7.6 becoming stable
Comment 3 Paul DeStefano 2016-02-08 14:21:35 EST
Yes, I know what you mean.  But, I talked to the BOINC "help desk" people and knowledgeable testers on the forums and they said that the only reason they haven't updated the package on their download page is because wxWidgets needs a patch (not just v3.0.1 as I stated before) and not many distributions have incorporated the patch, yet.  They are suggesting that they would wait until the patch hits the distributions before making a new package...but, I'm sure you don't want to wait because:

1) AFAIK, 7.6 is stable.  There isn't anything wrong with the Linux "version" of 7.4 or 7.6; that's not why they haven't build a new package.  They're only holding back from posting a new package because dependencies wouldn't be met in many distributions, including Fedora.

2) Moreover, 7.2.x *will not build with GCC 6.*  The BOINC guys also told me that they know F24 is going to come with GCC 6--they must be keeping an eye on Fedora or else how would they know that.

I'm hoping we can get all four of these packages updated soon, but I mainly want to make sure that these updates make it in to F24, at the latest, since, as I understand it, F24 will require going to 7.6.

I'm sure I can get patches for wxWidgets and libclc.  I was going to try to use SRPMS of all them, make them work, and send you some patches.  I'm sure you could do it faster and better, but I'm willing to help out if you want.
Comment 4 Germano Massullo 2016-02-08 15:56:07 EST
(In reply to Paul DeStefano from comment #3)
> Yes, I know what you mean.  But, I talked to the BOINC "help desk" people
> and knowledgeable testers on the forums and they said that the only reason
> they haven't updated the package on their download page is because wxWidgets
> needs a patch (not just v3.0.1 as I stated before) and not many
> distributions have incorporated the patch, yet.

Do you mean the package wxGTK3? Does upstream wxWidgets developers made a new release that includes the patch?
Comment 5 Paul DeStefano 2016-02-15 14:33:04 EST
Sorry, I was away last week...

I'm not sure; perhaps it is the GTK3 pkg.  BOINC folks said "wxWidgets", so I can't be sure.  I see your point; it's probably not a problem with wxBase.  I'll work on getting you all the details I can.  More soon.
Comment 6 Jan Kurik 2016-02-24 09:26:02 EST
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 24 development cycle.
Changing version to '24'.

More information and reason for this action is here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Program_Management/HouseKeeping/Fedora24#Rawhide_Rebase
Comment 7 Fedora Update System 2016-02-25 05:22:22 EST
boinc-client-7.6.22-1.fc23 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 23. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-89ece19b35
Comment 8 Fedora Update System 2016-02-25 05:22:25 EST
boinc-client-7.6.22-1.el7 has been submitted as an update to Fedora EPEL 7. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2016-268bdbd1df
Comment 9 Fedora Update System 2016-02-25 05:23:06 EST
boinc-client-7.6.22-1.fc22 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 22. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-8e698a1a52
Comment 10 Fedora Update System 2016-02-26 15:52:28 EST
boinc-client-7.6.22-1.fc22 has been pushed to the Fedora 22 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-8e698a1a52
Comment 11 Fedora Update System 2016-02-26 15:53:36 EST
boinc-client-7.6.22-1.fc23 has been pushed to the Fedora 23 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-89ece19b35
Comment 12 Fedora Update System 2016-02-26 21:20:31 EST
boinc-client-7.6.22-1.el7 has been pushed to the Fedora EPEL 7 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2016-268bdbd1df
Comment 13 Fedora Update System 2016-05-16 12:26:07 EDT
boinc-client-7.6.22-3.fc24 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 24. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-2479a25458
Comment 14 Fedora Update System 2016-05-16 12:27:58 EDT
boinc-client-7.6.22-3.fc23 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 23. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-2623b55517
Comment 15 Fedora Update System 2016-05-16 14:50:45 EDT
boinc-client-7.6.22-4.fc24 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 24. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-2479a25458
Comment 16 Fedora Update System 2016-05-16 14:50:54 EDT
boinc-client-7.6.22-4.fc23 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 23. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-2623b55517
Comment 17 Fedora Update System 2016-05-17 18:00:52 EDT
boinc-client-7.6.22-4.fc23 has been pushed to the Fedora 23 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-2623b55517
Comment 18 Fedora Update System 2016-05-17 18:01:19 EDT
boinc-client-7.6.22-4.fc24 has been pushed to the Fedora 24 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-2479a25458
Comment 19 Fedora Update System 2016-05-23 16:05:59 EDT
boinc-client-7.6.22-4.fc24 has been pushed to the Fedora 24 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
Comment 20 Fedora Update System 2016-05-26 06:55:16 EDT
boinc-client-7.6.22-4.fc23 has been pushed to the Fedora 23 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.