Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1310059
User guide lacks documentation on VM (dis)association
Last modified: 2017-03-27 19:17:49 EDT
Document URL: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Satellite/6.1/html-single/User_Guide/index.html
Section Number and Name: n/a
Describe the issue:
1) The user guide does not explain that when a host record that is associated with a VM is deleted the VM will be deleted as well.
2) The user guide does not explain the function of the associate VM's button on the compute resource screen.
Suggestions for improvement:
1) There are two KB articles that explain this. I believe they should be included at least in the user guide and possibly in the provisioning guide as well.
- How to delete hosts from Foreman while keeping provisioned Virtual Machines in Red Hat Satellite 6 : https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1572333
- How to delete virtual machines from Satellite 6 WebUI, without actually deleting it from a compute resource?: https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1504603
2) this function should be explained in the user guide
Moving to NEW and the default assignee to be triaged as the schedule allows.
Assigning to Zac for review.
Zac - we'll need to add a procedure after 'Removing a Host' in the Host Configuration Guide that outlines the problem, and how disassociating virtual machines can help. Combining some of the context provided in the two KBase articles would provide some much-needed guidance as well.
As for the problem - A user wants to remove a host (in this case, a VM running on a hypervisor) from Satellite without also removing it from the hypervisor. To do so, they need to disassociate it first.
This content is live on the Customer Portal.
Where can this be found?
The ticket is closed as currentrelease which I suppose is 6.2 right now but no user guide is available for 6.2.
So I checked the 6.1 user guide and I can't find it. Section 14.5 Removing a host does not mention this at all.
I searched for "associ" and found 45 hits but nothing related to this issue.
Thank you for following up on this bug, and my apologies for not providing a detailed link at the time the bug was closed.
In Red Hat Satellite 6.2, the 'User Guide' was split into two guides - a 'Server Administration Guide' that outlines how to administer the Satellite Server itself, and a 'Host Configuration Guide' that outlines how to work with and configure hosts.
The new content can be found in the following section of the Host Configuration Guide -
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, or if we can move this bug to 'CLOSED'.
Thanks for the link and the info.
This looks good and this can be closed.
Thank you for confirming.
I will now close this bug, but please let us know if you have any further requests at any time.