This service will be undergoing maintenance at 00:00 UTC, 2017-10-23 It is expected to last about 30 minutes
Bug 1312359 - activating vlan on virtual device fails with: failed to determine interface name: error determine name for vlan
activating vlan on virtual device fails with: failed to determine interface n...
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
Classification: Red Hat
Component: NetworkManager (Show other bugs)
7.3
Unspecified Unspecified
high Severity high
: rc
: ---
Assigned To: Thomas Haller
Desktop QE
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-02-26 09:21 EST by Thomas Haller
Modified: 2017-08-01 05:17 EDT (History)
10 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: NetworkManager-1.8.0-0.2.git20170215.1d40c5f4.el7
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2017-08-01 05:17:07 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)


External Trackers
Tracker ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
GNOME Desktop 762731 None None None 2016-02-26 09:21 EST

  None (edit)
Description Thomas Haller 2016-02-26 09:21:59 EST
NetworkManager 1.2-beta has a bug activating VLAN on a virtual parent interface.

This is upstream bug https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=762731

I open this BZ so we don't forget to test the usecase for rhel-7.3.


I didn't confirm whether the same issue exists on nm-1-0/rhel-7.2. Possibly not, because master could behave quite differently due to the "devices-for-all" branch.




Copied from upstream:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>



create a team-slave, a team, and a vlan on top of the team.


nmcli connection delete t-slave t-team t-vlan

DEV=enp0s25

nmcli connection add type team con-name t-team autoconnect no -- \
  connection.interface-name t-i-team \
  ipv6.method ignore \
  ipv4.method manual \
  ipv4.addresses 192.168.103.5/24 \
  ipv4.gateway 192.168.103.1
nmcli connection add type ethernet con-name t-slave slave-type team \
  ifname $DEV autoconnect no master t-team
nmcli connection add type vlan con-name t-vlan autoconnect no id 42 \
  dev t-i-team -- \
  ipv6.method ignore \
  ipv4.method manual \
  ipv4.addresses 192.168.104.5/24 \
  ipv4.gateway 192.168.104.1





nmcli connection up t-vlan 
# fails with:
# Error: Connection activation failed: failed to determine interface
# name: error determine name for vlan


# but
nmcli connection up t-slave
nmcli connection up t-vlan
# succeeds.
Comment 1 Thomas Haller 2016-11-13 16:53:40 EST
upstream bug is already fixed.

Quite likely this is already fixed by rhel-7.3 too.

Setting to modified.
Comment 4 errata-xmlrpc 2017-08-01 05:17:07 EDT
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.

https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2017:2299

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.