Bug 1313022 - stale grub2 reset/reinstall information
stale grub2 reset/reinstall information
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Fedora Documentation
Classification: Fedora
Component: system-administrator's-guide (Show other bugs)
devel
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity unspecified
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Stephen Wadeley
Fedora Docs QA
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-02-29 13:33 EST by Chris Murphy
Modified: 2016-09-26 16:34 EDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2016-09-26 16:34:45 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Chris Murphy 2016-02-29 13:33:14 EST
Description of problem:

Refresh of 20.4, 20.4.1, and 20.4.2 makes section 20.4.3 obsolete.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/22/html/System_Administrators_Guide/sec-Resetting_and_Reinstalling_GRUB_2.html



Actual results:

20.4.3 suggests:

rm /etc/grub.d/*  ## probably not necessary
rm /etc/sysconfig/grub command ## obsolete

On UEFI-based machines, issue the following command as root:
~]# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.cfg   ## stale location, is now fedora not redhat.


Expected results:

Maybe just delete this section. The previous sections are clear.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Noel McLoughlin 2016-02-29 14:47:57 EST
as per my comment on #1220066, section 20.4.3 is missing grub2-tools. Also /etc/grub.d/ is an interface so 'reviewing contents' might be better advice than 'deleting contents'.  Thanks.
Comment 2 Stephen Wadeley 2016-02-29 14:57:51 EST
Thank you for raising this bug
Comment 3 Stephen Wadeley 2016-05-30 16:05:24 EDT
(In reply to Chris Murphy from comment #0)
> Description of problem:
> 
> Refresh of 20.4, 20.4.1, and 20.4.2 makes section 20.4.3 obsolete.
Hello

Section numbers change so lets list the section headings:
20.4 means "Reinstalling GRUB 2"
20.4.1 means "Reinstalling GRUB 2 on BIOS-Based Machines"
20.4.2 means "Reinstalling GRUB 2 on UEFI-Based Machines"
20.4.3 means "Resetting and Reinstalling GRUB 2"
> 
> Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/22/html/
> System_Administrators_Guide/sec-Resetting_and_Reinstalling_GRUB_2.html
> 
> 
> 
> Actual results:
> 
> 20.4.3 suggests:
"Resetting and Reinstalling GRUB 2"
> 
> rm /etc/grub.d/*  ## probably not necessary
but would not hurt? and the section is about "fixes failures caused by corrupted files and incorrect configuration"

> rm /etc/sysconfig/grub command ## obsolete
that is a symlink:
/etc/sysconfig/grub -> /etc/default/grub
Do you say obsolete because its a symlink?  I will ask for advice my end, I think that was added in case someone had made changes which broke their system.

> 
> On UEFI-based machines, issue the following command as root:
> ~]# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.cfg   ## stale location, is
> now fedora not redhat.
OK, agreed, fixing now
> 
> 
> Expected results:
> 
> Maybe just delete this section. The previous sections are clear.
> 
> Additional info:
Comment 4 Stephen Wadeley 2016-05-30 16:14:31 EDT
Author: Stephen Wadeley <swadeley@redhat.com>
Date:   Mon May 30 22:12:08 2016 +0200

    /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/ not /redhat/
    
    Bug 1313022 - stale grub2 reset/reinstall information
    Thank you Chris Murphy for reporting this.
Comment 5 Stephen Wadeley 2016-05-31 00:51:33 EDT
(In reply to Noel McLoughlin from comment #1)
> as per my comment on #1220066, section 20.4.3 is missing grub2-tools. 
Re: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1220066#c10

FIXED:

commit b0c4781b44ef1f7600782490491e5618e9ad030a
Author: Stephen Wadeley <swadeley@redhat.com>
Date:   Tue May 31 06:50:11 2016 +0200

    Need to reinstall grub2-tools
    
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1220066#c10
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1313022#c1
    Thank you Noel McLoughlin for reporting this ommission


>Also
> /etc/grub.d/ is an interface so 'reviewing contents' might be better advice
> than 'deleting contents'.  Thanks.

I thought that was a directory?
Comment 6 Stephen Wadeley 2016-09-26 16:34:45 EDT
Hello

I will close this now, but feel free to reopen if something is still required.

Thank you

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.