Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1314176
gparted alignment error prevents overcloud deployment - VM nodes
Last modified: 2016-03-16 05:01:35 EDT
Description of problem:
When trying to deploy an overcloud using OSP Director 7 and vmware vms as nodes, after booting up and loading the initrd image node fails to deploy and remains in an unrecoverable state because gparted is unable to successfully create the necessary partition map.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create a vm using vmware for OSP Director 7, install osp as shown in the documentation.
2. Prepare two vms as compute and control, using basic networking with two nics, one openstack bus and one external
3. Download RedHat OSP images and load them into glance as shown in the documentation.
4. Deploy your basic cloud using fake_pxe driver in ironic and manual startup of the vms at provisioning and deploy stage.
5. Wait for the vms to remain stuck and unrecoverable
6. Check ironic-conductor.log for errors
Nodes stuck in deployment
Nodes should partition and start writing image file to it's newly created partitions
gparted uses alignment to optimize partitions on the disk. Alignment should be a warning not error and should not stop the deployment.
I have moved passed it by making the disks way larger than the allocation in instackenv.json. So for a 40GB allocation I created 100GB disk file and it worked.