Description of problem:
GDM shows a brief notification message that a users password will expire in X days.
The message is displayed underneath the password prompt when the graphical login is used.
This message scrolls through very fast and a user might miss the notifications until
the password finally expires and needs to get changed.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server and Workstation, Release 7.x
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create a new user
# useradd test
2. Set a password for the new user
# passwd test
3. Change the password expiration (5 days) and warning time (6 days)
# chage -M 5 -W 6 test
4. Login via graphical interface
- login works
- a brief message appears below the password entry field that the password is going to expire in 5 days
Request for Enhancement:
- There shall be a notification for the user in either the Gnome notification area or a popup
When should it be shown:
- Depending on the configured "Number of days of warning before password expires" value,
delivered by LDAP, local user configuration or Kerberos configuration
- After login
- After screen unlock
- It shall be shown again when it was not shown in the last X hours (e.g. no login, no screen unlock happened)
This should be configurable by the system administrator.
How should it work:
- It should be visible (Notification area or Popup)
- It should not block further action (Popup)
- It should not stack (i.e. if the user leaves the notification open without confirming,
it should not open a 2nd notification. But it shall make sure the 1st notification
is visible again (on top, un-minimized).
- It should go away when the user clicks "OK" (Popup)
- It should leave an icon in panel bar (even if user clicks OK)
- The Notification should show again if a user clicks on the icon in panel bar
This is similar to:
Filed upstream at:
Any progress is blocked on an AccountsService feature request:
You might want to file a bug for this RFE specifically if you want this to go forward.
Filed as https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1429631 as no movement happened upstream on the AccountsService bug.
Note that we'd still require non-trivial changes to gnome-settings-daemon to implement this functionality.
I can verify the password expiration changes have been made successfully in 3.26. There is a brief notification when you log in that the password will expire in X days. After screen unlock, a panel notification is shown alerting the user that the password will expire soon. Once the password expires, you are forced to change the password at the log in screen.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.