This service will be undergoing maintenance at 00:00 UTC, 2017-10-23 It is expected to last about 30 minutes
Bug 132495 - jp character encoding is not UTF8
jp character encoding is not UTF8
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: mailman (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Tomas Smetana
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
: Reopened
Depends On:
Blocks: FC3Target FC4Target
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-09-13 23:58 EDT by MASA.H
Modified: 2008-01-30 06:12 EST (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: mailman-2.1.9-5
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2008-01-30 06:12:57 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
UTF-8 Encording ja .po file (411.33 KB, text/plain)
2004-09-28 14:04 EDT, MASA.H
no flags Details
updated patch from cvs that adds missing replacements (1.27 KB, patch)
2007-07-13 13:57 EDT, Todd Zullinger
no flags Details | Diff
updated patch from cvs that adds more missing replacements (1.95 KB, patch)
2007-08-23 16:18 EDT, Todd Zullinger
no flags Details | Diff

  None (edit)
Description MASA.H 2004-09-13 23:58:29 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.2)
Gecko/20040809

Description of problem:
Mailman is already translated to Japanese.But, the encoding is not
UTF8.It encoded by EUC-JP.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
mailman-2.1.5-19

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Run a command;/var/mailman/bin/mmsitepass

    

Actual Results:  The command put EUC-JP encoding character. 

Expected Results:  The command put UTF8 encoding character.

Additional info:

With nkf ,it is easy to correct this problem.
Comment 1 John Dennis 2004-09-14 11:29:45 EDT
Since I'm not familar with Japanese translations it would help to
explain what nkf is and how it's easy to fix.

This feels like an upstream issues that needs addressing by the
mailman team rather than Red Hat's packaging. If you can help by
providing an exact fix or patch so I'm not doing this blindly I'll fix
it in our package and shepard it upstream.
Comment 2 MASA.H 2004-09-14 13:55:34 EDT
Nkf is a character encoding conversion filter.
So, it can convert EUC-JP to UTF8.
Comment 3 MASA.H 2004-09-28 14:04:36 EDT
Created attachment 104450 [details]
UTF-8 Encording ja .po file

This file made by follow command;
$nkf -w mailman.po >mailman.po.new
Comment 4 Miloslav Trmač 2004-10-11 16:04:00 EDT
The file header still says EUC-JP, which is easily corrected.
(btw, the msgfmt tool converts .po files and automatically corrects
the header).

To be completely correct, the output should be always converted
to the LC_CTYPE character set. The python gettext interface
doesn't do this, unlike the C one; Mailman/i18n.py contains
an attempt to rectify this, but it doesn't work.
As a first guess, changing _translation.gettext() to
_translation.ugettext() in Mailman/i18n.py:_() should do what
we want, but I haven't tested it at all.
Comment 5 Miloslav Trmač 2004-12-20 18:01:17 EST
Patch against mailman-2.1.5-28 submitted upstream at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1088712&group_id=103&atid=300103
Comment 6 Horst H. von Brand 2005-01-31 21:49:13 EST
The charset for annals by Mailman (iso-8859-1) is inconsistent with the one by
httpd (utf-8)
Comment 7 Matthew Miller 2006-07-10 17:35:29 EDT
Fedora Core 3 is now maintained by the Fedora Legacy project for security
updates only. If this problem is a security issue, please reopen and
reassign to the Fedora Legacy product. If it is not a security issue and
hasn't been resolved in the current FC5 updates or in the FC6 test
release, reopen and change the version to match.

Thank you!
Comment 8 Todd Zullinger 2007-07-13 13:57:47 EDT
Created attachment 159222 [details]
updated patch from cvs that adds missing replacements

I ran into another place where _( needs to be changed to C_(.  Attached is an
update to the mailman-2.1.9-ctypo.patch.
Comment 9 Todd Zullinger 2007-08-23 16:18:57 EDT
Created attachment 172374 [details]
updated patch from cvs that adds more missing replacements

Tomas, you'll probably hate me for reopening this a day after you closed it...
but I just ran into another place where _( needs changed.  The attached patch
updates the ctypo patch from the deve branch to add some fixes for the
bin/withlist script.  If I had more time to play with mailman, I'd do a more
thorough search for any remaining missing replacements.  As it is, I just fix
them as I find them. :(

If you'd prefer me to open new bugs for any other missing replacements instead
of adding to this one, just let me know.  Thanks!
Comment 10 Tomas Smetana 2007-08-24 02:44:23 EDT
Thanks Todd.  I'm glad you found those errors because it made me run "grep -r
'[^C|_]_(' * | less" in Mailman sources and must say that it was an upleasant
surprise...  Got to find out which of those occurrences have to be fixed.  It
looks that bin/newlist and bin/update have some forgotten _( but I was not brave
enough to examine the rest of the list yet.  But I'll have to do that...
Comment 11 Tomas Smetana 2008-01-30 06:12:57 EST
I've fixed (hopefully) all the places where I thought it had sense to do that. 
I'm afraid to fix something that is not reported to be broken...  Feel free to
reopen if you find any problems.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.