Bug 133009 - Malrendering of some characters
Malrendering of some characters
Status: CLOSED WORKSFORME
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: pango (Show other bugs)
3
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Owen Taylor
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index...
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-09-20 17:47 EDT by David Nielsen
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:10 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2004-09-22 10:48:06 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Screenshot displaying the problem (250.06 KB, image/png)
2004-09-20 17:48 EDT, David Nielsen
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description David Nielsen 2004-09-20 17:47:54 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.2)
Gecko/20040809 Epiphany/1.3.8

Description of problem:
I noticed that special danish letters and the "'" character now
sometimes get replaced by a question mark, it might happen for more
characters but these are the ones I observed thus far, as it happens
in at least Epiphany and Gaim, I'm guessing it's a Pango problem.

I've attached a screenshot of the problem as it appears on my setup, a
fresh install of FC3t2.

sorry about the uninformative title btw.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. e.g. go to the provided URL
    

Actual Results:  observ malrendering as in screenshot

Expected Results:  correct font rendering

Additional info:
Comment 1 David Nielsen 2004-09-20 17:48:29 EDT
Created attachment 104036 [details]
Screenshot displaying the problem
Comment 2 Owen Taylor 2004-09-20 18:04:04 EDT
Can you provide step by step instructions for reproducing the 
problem from a new user account?

If you could reproduce with gedit, that would be very helpful;
neither gaim nor epiphany is very close to our default rendering
system.
Comment 3 David Nielsen 2004-09-20 18:23:23 EDT
After trying the same settings as a completely new user I'm unable to
reproduce - so I apologize for the waste of time, it must just have
been my user profile that somehow got messed up.
Comment 4 Luke Schierer 2004-09-20 18:32:47 EDT
with gaim, what version numbers and protocols involved, and what
client is the other side using?  in 0.82 and 0.82.1 our work around
for broken icq clients was accidentally disabled and non-ascii
non-unicode characters (such as danish letters) were not being
interpreted correctly. gaim _should_ have noticed this and told you
that it could not convert the message, but it is entirely possible
that some messages would appear to be valid unicode and so translate
(incorrectly). this problem persists in 1.0.0 (but as far as we are
able to tell, only with gnomeicu, other 3rd party clients should now
again be worked around.)
Comment 5 David Nielsen 2004-09-20 18:40:01 EDT
the gaim version is 0.82.1 which comes with test2, and I already filed
a bug on errors getting none ASCII in ICQ (got the error message) and
was told it was fixed in the coming release - now the issue I'm
referring to here I guess isn't related since I noticed one of my
swedish buddies was named "Per G(question mark)ransson". He is an ICQ
user, so I'm not sure if it's the same bug as the protocol one or just
another case of my messed up profile.
Comment 6 Warren Togami 2004-09-20 18:59:50 EDT
gaim-1.0.0 should appear in rawhide tomorrow.
Comment 7 Owen Taylor 2004-09-22 10:48:06 EDT
Going to resolve as WORKSFORME since I'm not sure how to proceed
further here. If you get any insights about how you managed to
configure your account to do that, feel free to reopen.

(I'd check what your font settings are in gnome-font-properties)

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.