1. Proposed title of this feature request
Adding an optional limit to RDB snapshot
2. Who is the customer behind the request?
Account name: 315059 / Commerzbank AG
SRM customer: yes/no
TAM customer: yes/no
Strategic Customer: yes/no
Commerzbank AG is a well known Ceph account
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
The aim is to prevent the accidental creation of an infinite number of RBD snapshots in a given pool, via assigning an optional (disabled by default) limit to snapshot.
Snapshot limit should be disabled by default, to ensure no backward compatibility issue arises.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
To prevent accidentally create a infinite number of snapshot.
Purge jobs on snapshots are very cost intense operations. In worst case the whole cluster remains unusable.
This feature would minimize the risc of such incidents.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
Assigning a limit to snapshot to a given pool via an `rdb` command
6. For each functional requirement listed in question 5, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
- assign a snapshot limit
- create snaphost in a loop
- the `rdb snap create` should fail when the snapshot limit is reached
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat bugzilla?
no. But there is a slight discussion in sme-storage : http://post-office.corp.redhat.com/archives/sme-storage/2015-December/msg00001.html
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies?
As soon as possible. This feature would be a game changer when it comes to production readiness evaluation.
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
Our sales ambassandor in this case is Herr Herschaft.
10. List any affected packages or components.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
The customer would be happy to test the feature in case it is available
Upstream pull request (Kraken+ release, not RHCS 2.0 series): https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/9151
Jason, is this a backport candidate? If not, please adjust target to RHCS 3.
No -- it requires both librbd + OSD cls library changes.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.