From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Description of problem:
When you attempt to run the command "service mysqld restart" it does
not restart the server it errors out but comes back with OK. When I
check the service it shows the following after a restart "mysqld dead
but subsys locked".
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Key in service mysqld restart
Actual Results: mysqld dead but subsys locked when performing
a "service mysqld status" and shows that the service is OK.
Expected Results: The service should have restarted.
I couldn't see any such problem in testing the current FC3 release
(3.23.58-10). I think this might have been resolved by the updates
made to mysql.init in release -4 and -5. I will attach the current
version of mysql.init to this bugzilla entry; could you try it and see
if it works for you?
Created attachment 104794 [details]
mysql.init from 3.23.58-10
I attempted to put that file in place in the init.d folder and it
kept giving me a timeout error when trying to start mysqld. I
replaced it with the old file to keep the server running. My box is
completely up2date and the newest version I can even get (for
enterprise) is the version I am running.
I think I may have confused you by referring to the file by the wrong
name. The place to install it is actually /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld ...
is that where you put it, or did you call it mysql.init?
I put it in the /etc/init.d/ directory with the name mysqld. I don't
have the machine available right now but I believe that that is a sym
link to /etc/rc.d/init.d
This file did not fix the issue. Again, I am using AS3.
I tried this on a machine running stock RHEL3 U3, with both straight
mysql 3.23.58-1 and the updated version with the new init script.
Works fine for me ... so there must be some additional contributing
factor that makes it not work for you. Any idea what?
I have no idea. Apache is installed but other than that, no major
app server is running. This is running on the new Sun x86 boxes
(v60x). Other than that I have no idea. Is there any log file that
will help with the diagnosis?
I dunno what a v60x is --- do we consider that still i386
architecture, or is it ia64 or x86_64?
One theory that comes to mind while looking at the init script is that
stop() doesn't seem to wait for the mysqld daemon to actually shut
down. It seems possible that the restart fails because safe_mysqld
recognizes that there's an old daemon still running. If you stick a
"sleep 1" between the stop and start steps in restart(), does it help?
I cannot confirm whether or not it actually kills the service or not
as when I put the sleep 1 it shows FAILED for the stop and OK for the
start though the service is then running. I might not have even
stopped the process.
Um, did you put the sleep into restart() as I suggested, or into
stop()? If the latter you'd need to be careful about where.
I put it in the restart() section but one of our other sysadmins
replaced the my.cnf but did not kill the pid since the pid location
was not the same in his file. The sleep command fixed the issue. Thanks.
Great. I had put the sleep into the latest RPMs (3.23.58-2.2 for
RHEL3), on speculation, but it looks like it was the right thing.
It looks like this can be marked as fixed for RHEL3 U4.
An errata has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.