Bug 1341635 - IPv6 address not assigned to VLAN subinterface when assigned immediately after device creation
Summary: IPv6 address not assigned to VLAN subinterface when assigned immediately afte...
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
Classification: Red Hat
Component: NetworkManager
Version: 7.2
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
medium
medium
Target Milestone: rc
: ---
Assignee: Thomas Haller
QA Contact: Desktop QE
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2016-06-01 11:41 UTC by Jiri Prochazka
Modified: 2016-11-03 19:22 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2016-11-03 19:22:38 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)
script with commands for creating VLAN subiface and assignin addresses (319 bytes, application/x-shellscript)
2016-06-01 11:41 UTC, Jiri Prochazka
no flags Details
NM logfile (115.80 KB, text/plain)
2016-07-07 10:06 UTC, Jiri Prochazka
no flags Details


Links
System ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Red Hat Product Errata RHSA-2016:2581 normal SHIPPED_LIVE Low: NetworkManager security, bug fix, and enhancement update 2016-11-03 12:08:07 UTC

Description Jiri Prochazka 2016-06-01 11:41:46 UTC
Created attachment 1163599 [details]
script with commands for creating VLAN subiface and assignin addresses

Description of problem:
When we try to create new VLAN subinterface and assign IPv6 address (both actions with ip command) immediately after creation, IPv6 address is not assigned. But when we stop NetworkManager, it works correctly. IPv4 addresses work fine with both NM on and off.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
kernel 3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64
NM 1.0.6-27.el7

How reproducible:
Bare RHEL7.2 Server installation, run script with commands containing creation of VLAN subinterface and assigning IPv6 address to it

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Download and modify attached script (replace card name)
2. Run attached script
3. Run ip a to verify results

Actual results:
IPv6 address IS NOT assigned on the interface p5p1.10_0

Expected results:
IPv6 address IS assigned on the interface p5p1.10_0

Additional info:
It is not reproducible on VM

We are using NM with option no-auto-default=* in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf, but this shouldn't have any affect (I tried it with and without the option)

Tested on:
$ hostname
wsfd-netdev40.ntdv.lab.eng.bos.redhat.com

$ ethtool -i p5p1
driver: ixgbe
version: 4.0.1-k-rh7.2
firmware-version: 0x61c10001
bus-info: 0000:05:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

Comment 2 Thomas Haller 2016-07-04 16:54:00 UTC
this is probably due to NetworkManager setting IPv6 addrgenmode to none.
You can verify the addrgenmode with `ip -d link` (provided that your iproute2 version supports that).

I was unable to reproduce the issue with NetworkManager master and with rhel-7.2 (1.0.6-30).

Could you attach a logfile of NetworkManager with debug logging enabled?

  /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

  [logging]
  level=TRACE


Thanks.

Comment 3 Jiri Prochazka 2016-07-07 10:06:08 UTC
Created attachment 1177241 [details]
NM logfile

Attached is logfile from NM with trace logging level.

Kernel version is -327, NM version is 1.0.6-27.el7

Logfile contains log from this command output:
./script.sh && sleep 1 && ip a && sleep 1 && ip link del p5p1.10_0

where script.sh is script attached to this BZ.

Comment 4 Jiri Prochazka 2016-07-08 11:09:51 UTC
Hi Thomas,

as you asked me on IRC, I did try to reproduce bug with recent rhel-7.3 build and newer NetworkManager. With the same steps I did not manage to reproduce the bug, it looks like it's been fixed.

distro: RHEL-7.3-20160707.n.0
kernel version: 3.10.0-461.el7.x86_64
NetworkManager version: 1.4.0-0.2.git20160621.072358da.el7

Comment 5 Francesco Giudici 2016-07-11 09:43:00 UTC
Hi Jiri,
  thanks!
I think we can move the bug to MODIFIED than as the fix has already been included in latest NM for RHEL 7.3.

Comment 7 Vladimir Benes 2016-09-22 21:07:24 UTC
according to comment #4 moving to verified

Comment 9 errata-xmlrpc 2016-11-03 19:22:38 UTC
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2016-2581.html


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.