_binutils_ rebased to version 2.25.1
The highlights of the new rebased _binutils_ package include:
* The *strings* program now has a "--data" command-line option which only prints strings in loadable, initialized data sections. The default behaviour has been changed to match the "--all" command-line option.
* The *strings* program now has a "--include-all-whitespace" command-line option which treats any non-displaying ASCII character as part of the string. This includes carriage return and new line characters which otherwise would be considered to be line terminators.
* The *objcopy* program now has a "--dump-section" command-line option to extract the contents of named sections and copy them into separate files.
* The *objcopy* program now supports wildcard characters in command-line options that take section names.
* The *as* assembler now has a "--gdwarf-sections" command-line option to enable the generation of per-code-section *DWARF.debug_line* sections. This facilitates the removal of those sections when their corresponding code section is removed by linker garbage collection.
Description of problem:
The version of binutils currently used in RHEL 7.3 is 2.23. This is quite
an old version and in particular suffers from a lot of potential security
problems due to buffer overruns and memory leaks.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Examine version number in the rpm.
Rebasing to a newer version of binutils has the potential to cause new,
unexpected failures in other packages. But we have been doing a lot of
local testing and nothing has shown up so far.
Verified for build binutils-2.25.1-20.base.el7.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.