Bug 134473 - /usr/libexec/gam_server locks audio /dev/dsp when moving files
/usr/libexec/gam_server locks audio /dev/dsp when moving files
Status: CLOSED CANTFIX
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: nautilus (Show other bugs)
3
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Alexander Larsson
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-10-03 11:47 EDT by robert soros
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:10 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-10-30 10:20:06 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description robert soros 2004-10-03 11:47:19 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040914
Firefox/0.10

Description of problem:
This bug might be difficult to reproduce for some.  I'm using fedora
core 3 test 2.91 on a older computer, a K6-3 400 cpu, 384 megs ram,
matrox millenium... its very slow running gnome + nautilus.

Here's how it worked, I had a nautilus window open to this directory
(it's in list mode, as opposed to thumbnails/audio list/etc)
    /home/user/mp3  

There's about 100 files in that directory.   In gnome terminal I type 
     mv *groove_armada* /home/test

The nautilus window showing all the files in /home/user/mp3 starts
going crazy, trying to keep up with the changes.  (this probably
wouldn't happen on a modern system, but on this k6-3 400, it does take
more than a few seconds to update.)  

As the window continues to update the changes, I close the window
before it finishes.

------------------------------------------

Thats where the problem starts, after this happened I couldn't use
Rhythmbox, mplayer, ogg123..  nothing would work and not much was
showing up in the process list that would give me any clues as to why
the audio device was locked.  (I also tried switching gstreamer's
default audio sink, to no avail.)

Next I executed lsof and was very lucky to stumble across this, 

gam_serve  2867   soros   27u      CHR     116,16                6578
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

The "PCM" is what tipped me off.  Next, I killed the gam_server
process and audio starts working, everything is fine again.    Audio
alerts in gnome are on, piped through ESD IIRC.  

----

My apologies if all of this is superfluous gibberish to interested
parties reading.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
gamin-0.0.9-1

How reproducible:
Didn't try


Additional info:
Comment 1 Daniel Veillard 2004-10-03 13:43:23 EDT
The fact that nautilus monitors the device sounds the core of the
problem. I'm reasigning for that module. But I'm changing gamin
in 0.0.14 to not use kernel notification for /dev/ subtree which
should also fix the problem.

Daniel
Comment 2 Alexander Larsson 2004-10-04 03:47:50 EDT
Very strange. Was any nautilus window open showing /dev?
Comment 3 robert soros 2004-10-04 05:23:48 EDT
Alex said, "Very strange. Was any nautilus window open showing /dev?"

No, the nautilus window was open to "/home/user/mp3"   After issuing
the mv command in a gnome-terminal, on roughly 30 or 40 files, the
contents inside the nautilus window started jumping around, trying to
keep up with the changes.  I closed it before it finished making all
of the changes...  

Rhythmbox was also open at the time.. hmmmm, I'll try to recreate this
again to see whether or not it was just a fluke.  
Comment 4 Alexander Larsson 2004-10-05 09:37:24 EDT
It might be another process, such as rhythmbox that was monitoring /dev.
Comment 5 Matthew Miller 2006-07-10 18:33:58 EDT
Fedora Core 3 is now maintained by the Fedora Legacy project for security
updates only. If this problem is a security issue, please reopen and
reassign to the Fedora Legacy product. If it is not a security issue and
hasn't been resolved in the current FC5 updates or in the FC6 test
release, reopen and change the version to match.

Thank you!
Comment 6 John Thacker 2006-10-30 10:20:06 EST
Closing per lack of response to previous request for information.  This bug was
originally filed against a much earlier version of Fedora Core, and significant
changes have taken place since the last version for which this bug is confirmed.
 It has remained in NEEDINFO status for quite a long period of time, asking for
confirmation on a more recent (still fully supported) version of Fedora Core.

Note that FC3 and FC4 are supported by Fedora Legacy for security
fixes only.  Please install a still supported version and retest.  If
it still occurs on FC5 or FC6, please reopen and assign to the correct
version.  Otherwise, if this a security issue, please change the
product to Fedora Legacy.  Thanks, and we are sorry that we did not
get to this bug earlier.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.