Description of problem:
The current Director Install guide has only a couple passing notes which reference this new network. It is not included in any lists or figures of all possible networks. The user has no guidiance on when it is useful, what it is for etc.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
The network needs to be added to the following:
Table 3.2. Network Type Assignments
Figure 3.1. Example VLAN Topology using Bonded Interfaces
Table 3.3. Network Mappings
Added some info about the management network in the planning and network isolation sections:
How does this content look to you? Is there anything more we should add?
What you've added looks good to me. A couple additional thoughts follow.
1) I don't see any material on 'why would I choose to isolate a particular network or not' in general. Also for the management network in particular over the other isolatable networks.
What I suggest is after the following
"The director provides a method for mapping six of these traffic types to certain subnets or VLANs. These traffic types include:
Any unassigned networks are automatically assigned to the same subnet as the Provisioning network."
Add a simple statement
'Choosing to isolate networks can be desirable from a security prospective to segregate administrative, cloud software, storage, end user traffic and also for increasing performance for specific functions where the underlying network hardware resources are available.'
2) when using the provided .yaml files ( at least in my experience on 8.0) , to enable a separate management network requires an additional step beyond the normal ones to achieve network isolation. You need to pull in additional management network yaml.
-e /usr/share/openstack-tripleo-heat-templates/environments/network-isolation.yaml \
-e /usr/share/openstack-tripleo-heat-templates/environments/network-management.yaml \
It makes Management more 'optional' then all the others.
Not if this is significant in highlighing that the management is not quite like all the other isolatable networks in usage... or where to pull this into the narrative.
3) The diagram in section 3.2 showing the network isolation case.
- the Management network needs to be accounted for. Either parenthetical under 'provisioning' or called out as its own additional network from the nic2/nic3 bond.
- 'cluster management' with the Internal API. This is a bit confusing as the phrasing makes one wonder if this is yet another network, or maybe referring to the previously mentioned 'Management' network. If cluster management one of the functions of the Internal API, it should be mentioned in the Internal API entry in table 3.3. And the diagram label something more like "Internal API Network (includes cluster management communications)"
4) Table 3.3 of 2 examples of network mappings does not reference the management network.
- The 'Flat Network with External Access'. 'Mappings' column should list Management Network?
- The 'Isolated Networks'. 'Mappings' either 'Network 1 Provisioning' should add '... and Management' or add another 'Network 8 - Management'
Including this BZ as part of the Overcloud Networking revamp.
Changing the version to a supported release as this BZ still has valid feedback that applies to OSP13+