Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 135347
tamil translation in application is not using UTF-8 encoding
Last modified: 2014-03-25 20:51:17 EDT
Description of problem:
Some of the tamil strings in ta.po is using the wrong encoding (TSCII
instead of UTF-8)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run application in LANG=ta_IN.UTF-8
some strings are broken because of the encoding
should display all of the strings in UTF-8
Created attachment 105042 [details]
Please find attached the latest copy of the po file.
Just wanted to follow up if you have any timeframe on rebuilding the package for
RHEL4. It would be great to include the fixed tamil translation in because tamil
is one of our official supported languages. Thanks!
This bug has been assigned to component "gal". Is this file for the
"gal" package, or for "libgal2"? Evolution uses libgal2.
Removing from FC3Target tracker (bug #123268); adding to RHEL4 i18n
tracker (bug #137149).
I think it is for gal package.
# translation of ta.po to Tamil
# Tamil Translation of gal.pot
# Copyright (C) 2001, 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# Dinesh Nadarajah <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 2001.
# Jayaradha N <email@example.com>, 2004.
I can't find anything that actually uses the "gal" package.
I've built a new version of the libgal2 package for RHEL 4
(libgal2-2:2.2.3-4) which contains the new ta.po file from the
attachment in comment #1.
I checked upstream (GNOME) CVS and the same file has already been
committed there (in the "gnome-2-8" branch of the "gal" module).
The new package is in dist-4E-HEAD, so it will need moving.
To test the libgal2 package, try running Evolution e.g.:
Strings from libgal2 package are used in the following places:
(i) in the Mail component, try right-clicking on the message list
header; the popup menu has various options for adding/removing
columns; the dialogs presented here (and hence the strings) are from
(although the column headings themselves are from Evolution)
(ii) in the Contacts component, try opening a contact, and clicking on
the Categories button; in the next dialog try clicking on the Edit
Master Category List button; I believe that all the strings you'll see
here are from libgal2
I've filed this Late Revision Process bug to cover this:
Thanks for the Test Case, Dave. :)
Unfortunately, I dont understand tamil as well, so I'm cc'ing sarah,
hopefully she will give me a hand on this.
Based on Dave's Test Case, I have attached 2 screenshots in this bug.
Could you please ask the translator to verify if the translation is
Created attachment 107926 [details]
based on dave's test case 1
Created attachment 107927 [details]
based on dave's test case 2
Tamil translator is on leave. I'm unable to verify it at this stage.
Verified with both FC4 and EL4, the encoding looks good.