Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 13842
Crashed Installer on Sparc Ultra 5
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:56 EDT
(First I am not a Sun person, so help me out where I start to sound stupid)
The Beta3 installer can consistently be crashed on my Sparc Ultra 5 by
performing the following steps:
- boot from the CDROM
- select "Next" on each screen until I reach the selection of partition
method (i.e. Automatic, Disk Druid, etc...); it doesn't seem to matter
which type of install I select (custom, workstation, etc).
- Then I select "Back" until I get to the Keyboard selection screen
- Next I select "Next" twice (once for keyboard and once for mouse
The system crashes and reboots back to the Prom
If I do a "stop-a" during the reboot I see error messages like:
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error: Can't find file "unknown" for geometry include
> Abandoning geometry file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the Xserver
Error loading new keyboard description
sending termination signals...done
Then I can't see much more before it reboots, but it says something about
rebooting and then something else.
- When I first load the installer and select a keyboard the next screen is
NOT the mouse selection Screen it is the "Redhat Linux Beta" graphic
screen, but when I back up from the partition selection screen and then go
forward I do get the mouse selection screen.
- I don't know which keyboard to select for my install (mostly because I am
Sun hardware ignorant) -- The bottom of my keyboard says it is a "Type 6"
which is not one of my options.
- My keyboard does NOT work correctly during the graphical installer --
e.g. if I press the '4' key it prints a '5' in the partition size box
- If I perform the same set of steps in the Text installer it does NOT
crash and the system and the keyboard seems to work correctly (selecting
the "sunkeymap" option for my keyboard.
SPARC is not a supported platform.