Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 138826
booting from DVD or other install media hangs
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:54 EST
Description of problem:
I have an ordinary Acer TravelMate 292LMI which did fine for RH9, FC1
and FC2. Now, booting from DVD, recue dist or other CDs does fail in
any mode: noprobe, text, rescue, askmwthod etc.
I can see the first screen where one can choose an install method,
then it is booting the kernel and the last thing to be seen is
"running /sbin/loader". After this the screen is black und nothing
There is no other console.
The DVD, CDs of course pass the "mediacheck" (on another machine).
How reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Put in install media
2. boot from it with whatever option
3. wait for the black notebook screen
Actual Results: black notebook screen and nothing more
Expected Results: install procedure for FC3
I managed to install FC3, but this is not the cleanest way:
1. install on the notebook FC2 minimal
2. install apt package
3. change apt configuration to point at FC3
4. apt-get dist-upgrade
5. apt-get install system-config-packages
6. install (if needed) packages for running Xorg
7. insert FC3-DVD and start system-config-packages and install
whatever you like
Does booting with 'linux nofb' help?
Oh yes ... Frame Buffer! Jeremy, you're a Tsaddik. I should more sleep
than hack! Sorry for bothering at all!