+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #1385034 +++
OSP10 ships RHSC2 and stands up RHSC2 ceph clusters but it also must support an external Ceph cluster which could be running RHCS1.3. To support this configuration overcloud nodes which are ceph clients need "rbd default features = 1" in the [client] section of their ceph.conf. OSPd doesn't have an option to configure this so this BZ requests that be an option in THT and that puppet-ceph support this option as user configurable.
--- Additional comment from John Fulton on 2016-10-14 12:25:53 EDT ---
raising request for pm_ack+ for blocker? bug
--- Additional comment from John Fulton on 2016-10-15 17:09:52 EDT ---
After applying the changes from the following two upstream patches:
and adding the following to my Heat environment file:
I was able to get a deploy with the following ceph.conf on my compute node (a ceph client):
[root@overcloud-novacompute-0 ~]# cat /etc/ceph/ceph.conf
osd_pool_default_min_size = 1
auth_service_required = cephx
mon_initial_members = overcloud-controller-0,overcloud-controller-1,overcloud-controller-2
fsid = 63089b2a-930d-11e6-aba5-525400330666
cluster_network = 192.168.1.26/24
auth_supported = cephx
auth_cluster_required = cephx
mon_host = 172.16.1.23,172.16.1.16,172.16.1.24
auth_client_required = cephx
public_network = 172.16.1.18/24
rbd_default_features = 1
Next step is to get the change merged upstream.
--- Additional comment from Giulio Fidente on 2016-10-17 07:10:04 EDT ---
Alternatively, as a workaround measure, the overcloud can be deployed with an environment file like the following:
--- Additional comment from John Fulton on 2016-10-25 08:58:26 EDT ---
Updating doctext as comment #3 indicates that the fix is supported. The user just needs to use the extra Heat form comment #3.
--- Additional comment from John Fulton on 2016-10-25 10:10:10 EDT ---
In OSP10, compatibility with Ceph1.3 is only supported if the Ceph cluster is external. Marking this bug as depends on 1384079 because it prevents OSP10 from working with an external Ceph cluster.
The user may add the following to an environment file to workaround this issue:
However, we prefer to simplify this to the following for OSP11:
Thus, upstream fixes are linked from upstream LP bug 1633552.
If OSP10, then use the following and documentation should be updated to have the user use it. This has been verified.
The target release of this BZ is now OSP11 and by that version, after the upstream fixes linked from upstream LP bug 1633552 are merged, users should be able to pass the following instead.
Thus, I updated the status here from: "Target OSP10 and Verified" to "Target OSP11 and ON_DEV".
Documentation updates will be necessary for both releases. I'll follow up with docs team.
Doc team has triaged for OSP10 as per https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1385034#c9
We are limiting the scope of the work for this release to getting a mistral workflow called from Heat. Giulio is making he appropriate changes for this feature.
The necessary changes to close this are now upstream. I'll keep an eye on them to help them get downstream. This could make M3.
3/4 of the necessary changes have merged (all in puppet-ceph). Just waiting for the THT change (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386972/) to merge but it has two +2s so it just needs workflow.
Regarding this change for OSP11 vs the one in BZ 1385034 for OSP10.
Deployers can still use the option from BZ 1385034 but the changes in this BZ let them do it more easily with just one line and by providing it in the example template with a comment about backwards compatibility it should increase the chances that deployers avoid the problem the first time around.
In other words, instead of creating a new env file with the following in OSP10:
They just uncomment the following line in environments/puppet-ceph-external.yaml which will be shipped containing the following in OSP11:
# Uncomment if connecting to a pre-Jewel or RHCS1.3 Ceph Cluster
# RbdDefaultFeatures: 1
All upstream changes have been merged. Moving bug from ON_DEV to POST.
I verified that the upstream changes are in the following RPMs:
Tested on both Ceph 1.3.3 and Ceph 2.0.
I set the doctype to enhancement. the doctext looks fine to me.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.