Bug 1390610 - LibreOffice Impress crashes when you move slide pane into a separate window on Wayland
Summary: LibreOffice Impress crashes when you move slide pane into a separate window o...
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: libreoffice
Version: 25
Hardware: x86_64
OS: Linux
unspecified
high
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Caolan McNamara
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard: AcceptedFreezeException
: 1385385 1388761 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks: F25FinalBlocker F25FinalFreezeException
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2016-11-01 14:08 UTC by Jiri Eischmann
Modified: 2016-11-10 15:22 UTC (History)
12 users (show)

Fixed In Version: libreoffice-5.2.3.3-3.fc25
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2016-11-08 13:34:47 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)
bug demonstration video (1.43 MB, application/octet-stream)
2016-11-01 14:35 UTC, Kamil Páral
no flags Details


Links
System ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Document Foundation 98807 None None None 2016-11-02 12:55:59 UTC
GNOME Bugzilla 768098 None None None 2016-11-02 11:23:43 UTC
GNOME Bugzilla 768128 None None None 2016-11-02 11:24:52 UTC
Red Hat Bugzilla 1391418 None None None Never

Internal Links: 1391418

Description Jiri Eischmann 2016-11-01 14:08:20 UTC
Impress crashes when you move the slide pane (by dragging) into a separate window on Wayland. To trigger this, the presentation needs to have at least several slides. It doesn't crash on X.
What makes the issue more severe is that you can't dock the slide pane back to the main window even after restarting Impress with an empty presentation. You need to delete ~/.config/libreoffice to start using Impress again.

Comment 1 Kamil Páral 2016-11-01 14:35:08 UTC
Created attachment 1216135 [details]
bug demonstration video

Reproduced. I didn't need to have any slides. The major problem here is that your Impress becomes completely broken - you can never ever move the pane. Anytime you touch the header bar of that pane, Impress crashes again. The only solution is to delete the configuration files (or switch to X11).

gnome-session-wayland-session-3.22.1-2.fc25.x86_64
gnome-shell-3.22.1-2.fc25.x86_64
gtk3-3.22.2-1.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-impress-5.2.3.2-1.fc25.x86_64
libwayland-client-1.12.0-1.fc25.x86_64
libwayland-cursor-1.12.0-1.fc25.x86_64
libwayland-server-1.12.0-1.fc25.x86_64
mesa-libwayland-egl-12.0.3-3.fc25.x86_64
mutter-3.22.1-6.fc25.x86_64
xorg-x11-server-Xwayland-1.19.0-0.3.20161026.fc25.x86_64

Comment 2 Kamil Páral 2016-11-01 14:40:30 UTC
Proposing as a blocker:
"All applications that can be launched using the standard graphical mechanism of a release-blocking desktop after a default installation of that desktop must start successfully and withstand a basic functionality test. "
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_25_Final_Release_Criteria#Default_application_functionality

Moving the panes in LO is pretty common, I'd think. Also, this does not just crash, but makes your app broken even for future launches (you can never move away the floating pane or put it back, even when it obstructs your view), which is a much bigger problem.

Comment 3 David Tardon 2016-11-01 21:25:43 UTC
(In reply to Kamil Páral from comment #2)
> Moving the panes in LO is pretty common, I'd think.

I disagree. I think that tearing off the slides pane is rather uncommon. If I've ever done it, it was unintentionally (just like the reported case). And I've never seen anyone else doing it either.

Comment 4 David Tardon 2016-11-01 21:32:46 UTC
(In reply to Kamil Páral from comment #2)
> Also, this does not just
> crash, but makes your app broken even for future launches (you can never
> move away the floating pane or put it back, even when it obstructs your
> view), which is a much bigger problem.

It is always possible to dock the pane again. Press Ctrl and double click inside the window or press Ctrl+Shift+F10. (It took me only a few seconds to find this in the help, btw.)

Comment 5 Kamil Páral 2016-11-02 11:12:40 UTC
> I think that tearing off the slides pane is rather uncommon.

Shrug. I do it all the time. The defaults are not to my liking.

> Press Ctrl and double click inside the window 

Doesn't work for me.

> or press Ctrl+Shift+F10

That does work (mostly, sometimes I had to press it several times). However, you only found it because you knew about the bug and knew what you're looking for. That will not probably be the case for most of our users - if it crashes during drag&drop, I wouldn't realize I can try a keyboard shortcut I don't even know it exists (I certainly didn't).

Comment 6 Caolan McNamara 2016-11-02 11:23:44 UTC
You can't move the panel when its floating because of https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=768098

Comment 7 Caolan McNamara 2016-11-02 11:24:53 UTC
If you could move it, you couldn't dock it again because of https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=768128

Comment 8 Kamil Páral 2016-11-02 11:35:48 UTC
(In reply to Caolan McNamara from comment #7)
> If you could move it, you couldn't dock it again 

Confirmed with LO Writer. I can undock the toolbars and move them around just fine (no crash), but there are no hints for docking and thus it can't be docked easily (drag&drop). Unfortunately there's no button "dock again" either. Double clicking on the toolbar header docks it again (but that is not completely obvious). By reading the bug, it seems this will not be an easy fix.

However, if we can resolve the crash, we're definitely in a better position (people will start looking for a way to dock it, instead of just seeing it crash every time they touch it).

Comment 9 Caolan McNamara 2016-11-02 12:55:59 UTC
Seems my upstream https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98807 fix for something else is the reason master doesn't crash on this type of interaction

Comment 10 Caolan McNamara 2016-11-02 13:03:34 UTC
I'll make it "not crash" as the solution for this

Comment 11 Fedora Update System 2016-11-03 08:53:59 UTC
libreoffice-5.2.3.3-3.fc25 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 25. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-2bb098b655

Comment 12 Kamil Páral 2016-11-03 09:36:22 UTC
(In reply to Fedora Update System from comment #11)
> libreoffice-5.2.3.3-3.fc25 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 25.
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-2bb098b655

The crash is fixed.

Comment 13 Kamil Páral 2016-11-03 09:44:25 UTC
(In reply to Caolan McNamara from comment #7)
> If you could move it, you couldn't dock it again because of
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=768128

I've created a separate bug 1391418 about this. This issue seems important enough to have it covered in our common bugs page.

Comment 14 Stephen Gallagher 2016-11-04 13:49:30 UTC
I'm 0 on blocker status. I'm not sure it quite meets the burden of "basic functionality". I am however +1 FE. We should get this crash fixed since we have the patch ready.

Comment 15 Fedora Update System 2016-11-05 18:58:13 UTC
libreoffice-5.2.3.3-3.fc25 has been pushed to the Fedora 25 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2016-2bb098b655

Comment 16 Geoffrey Marr 2016-11-08 00:27:29 UTC
Discussed during the 2016-11-07 blocker review meeting: [1]

The decision to delay classification of this as a blocker and instead classify it is an AcceptedFreezeException was made as there was question as to if this bug merited a blocker status, however there is a fix released, so marking this bug as a freeze exception and moving forward was deemed appropriate.

[1] https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-blocker-review/2016-11-07/f25-blocker-review.2016-11-07-17.01.txt

Comment 17 Fedora Update System 2016-11-08 04:59:34 UTC
libreoffice-5.2.3.3-4.fc25 has been pushed to the Fedora 25 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.

Comment 18 Anass Ahmed 2016-11-08 10:59:59 UTC
Is this a duplicate of my Bug 1388761 ??!

Comment 19 Kamil Páral 2016-11-08 13:33:30 UTC
*** Bug 1388761 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 20 Kamil Páral 2016-11-08 13:34:12 UTC
(In reply to Anass Ahmed from comment #18)
> Is this a duplicate of my Bug 1388761 ??!

Yes it is. No need to put needinfo on the reporter.

Comment 21 Kamil Páral 2016-11-08 13:34:47 UTC
Bodhi didn't close the bug for some reason, closing.

Comment 22 Anass Ahmed 2016-11-08 14:12:57 UTC
Can you re-size the un-docked window? Is the normal behavior to be fixed-size?

Comment 23 Kamil Páral 2016-11-09 09:39:59 UTC
I can't resize it. I think it's yet another wayland-related bug. Please try whether it works on X11 and if it does, please report it as a new bug, thanks.

Comment 24 Anass Ahmed 2016-11-09 09:49:59 UTC
(In reply to Kamil Páral from comment #23)
> I can't resize it. I think it's yet another wayland-related bug. Please try
> whether it works on X11 and if it does, please report it as a new bug,
> thanks.

It's not resizable on X11 too. but when it gets un-docked, it gets the same "usable" size every time. However, in wayland, it takes good size the first time, but not the second time (or any times after that).

I think my previous bug report is still valid!

Comment 25 Caolan McNamara 2016-11-10 15:22:08 UTC
*** Bug 1385385 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.