Upstream, this software supports Python 3. Please provide a Python 3
package for Fedora.
According to the Python packaging guidelines , software must be
packaged for Python 3 if upstream supports it.
The guidelines give detailed information on how to do this, and even
provide an example spec file .
The current best practice is to provide subpackages for the two Python
versions (called "Common SRPM" in the guidelines). Alternatively, if
nothing depends on your Python2 package, you can just switch to Python 3
It's OK to do this in Rawhide only, however, it would be greatly
appreciated if you could push it to Fedora 25 as well.
If you need more instructions, a guide for porting Python-based RPMs is
available at .
If anything is unclear, or if you need any kind of assistance with the
porting, you can ask on IRC (#fedora-python on Freenode), or reply here.
We'll be happy to help!
Created attachment 1219960 [details]
New version 0.40.dev0 including Python 3 subpackage
Hi Matthias, may I ask you to review the patch?
version 0.40.dev seems to have some issues esp. around python3. Latest released version on github is 0.38.
Otherwise the patch looks ok to me.
As I can see an RMP build error in 0.38 related to Python 3.5 (maybe because of distutils that was replaced by setuptools in ver. 0.40dev0), I would suggest to wait for a stable new release.
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 26 development cycle.
Changing version to '26'.
Created attachment 1311183 [details]
Patch for specfile - latest git
New specfile from Jan looks good to me. I've improved it a little bit.
AFAIK web.py still has no maintainer so I am not sure whether is it reasonable to wait for next release or we can update package to the latest version in the master branch.
I've tried build and test package with source code from the current master branch and everything looks good to me. Please, take a look at scratch build  and let me know, what do you think.
If you agree, we can push this change.
Thank you for the patch.
Unfortunately, it did not apply cleanly, I had to cherry-pick.
The change has been pushed and builds triggered.