Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 140057
Non-Google URL brings up Google page
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:55 EST
Description of problem:
Entering the following URL
triggers a Google search of a garbage string, instead of the desired URL.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Enter URL <https://www.accountonline.com/AC/> (without the brackets).
Google search for garbage string.
Correct Web site (AT&T Universal Card).
Not using any funny settings. Another person using FC3 on a
different machine confirmed the behavior.
The remote site is returning:
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: WebSphere Application Server/5.1
Via: 1.1 S1PS
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:15:12 GMT
wemi15avip is not a valid fully-qualified domain name. So Firefox is
trying to be helpful by doing a google search on the result.
You can change this behaviour by setting keyword.enabled to false in
the user preferences.
Using about:config, I set both keyword.enabled and
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled to false. Still doesn't work (though
the behavior has changed).
It will never work while the remote site is returning a redirect to:
It should work now - looks like they've fixed their site.
Thanks for clarifying that it was the Web site that was broken, and
not Firefox - I wasn't sure what constituted a proper host name. (I
noticed that both Mozilla and Konqueror worked as expected.) Anyway,
I'll have to send them an email - the URL is still broken for me,
though I found a different one that works. So this bug should
probably be closed.
Agreed. Thanks for the analysis.