Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 140261
Early in the install the installer has a parted exception and exits
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:55 EST
When starting to install FC3 on a system (that has two harddisks,
that are loaded with an old redhat-linux, winxp and win98) the
installer has a parted exception and stops.
It happens just a few steps after the graphical installsystem starts
(after the questions about language and keyboard).
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: Every Time
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Reboot with FC3 DVD in drive
2. Start installing with graphicall installer
3. After country/keyboard questions a popup named "bug" warns
thatthere has been a parted exception and offers the choice to ignore
or cancel. I choose ignore.
4. Another popup shows, also named "bug" also with a warning
concerning a parted exception with also the choice ignore and cancel.
I choose ignore.
5. Installer shuts down (shows the system shutdown, and the
message "it is now safe to reboot").
Probably the partition-editor should have started at this point.
The ALT-F1 screen has this info (I had to write it down and now type
it out since copy and paste were of no use, so pardon the
spelling/other small mistakes there might be):
Starting Graphical Installation......
Assertion (heads > 0) at disk_dos.c: 485 in function
Assertion (sectors <= 63) at disk_dos.c: 485 in function
Installer exited abnormally
* moving (1) to step keyboard
* running ['/usr/X11R86/bin/setxkbmap','-layout','us','-
* moving(1) to step findrootparts
* parted exception: Bug: Assertion (heads > 0) at disk_dos.c: 485 in
function probe_partition_for_geom() failed.
* parted exception: Bug: Assertion (sectors <= 63) at disk_dos.c: 485
in function probe_partition_for_geom() failed.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 138419 ***
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.