I downloaded all the latest RPMs for GNOME 1.0, and did an
rpm -Uvh on the whole thing at once. After gnumeric, I got
free list corrupt (14736712)- contact email@example.com
I tried upgrading the other packages, but then I got the
exact same message on gtk+-devel. I tried removing all the
GNOME-related RPMs, then installing them again, but now I
get the error on enlightenment (which hadn't given the error
So, at this point, I think I'm pretty screwed, because my
feeling is that one or more of the RPM files in /var/lib
have somehow gotten corrupted. This means that I have to
reinstall my whole system, if I ever want to use RPM
again... I'm pretty sure I have a backup of /var/lib/rpm
that I can try working from, which might save me that, but
it might not work, especially if the corruption happened
before I tried to do the GNOME thing (or if the corruption
is going to be triggered by the GNOME packages).
I get this too, RH5.2, rpm -Uvh kills me. Trying to install Gnome-1.0.
I have successfully installed it at home, and have been able to
successfully install other packages previously.
Glad to see other people are having the problem too. Same thing
happens for me trying to install Gnome 1.0: rpm -Uvh *.rpm
generates: free list corrupt (3746440)- contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous versions of Gnome gave me no problems.
*** Bug 1425 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
I was installing the new GNOME 1.0.1 using the command
RPM -Uvh *
when the entire process hung on me. I used the command
'kill -9 pid' to kill the process.
Now when I try to pick up from where i left off it gives me
the error message
free list corrupt (6964424)- contact email@example.com
so I did, but the mailer sent it back to me.
*** Bug 1433 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
While installing GNOME 1.0 from RPMs I got this error.
free list corrupt (4044808)- contact firstname.lastname@example.org
I can add some RPMs, but others return the same error.
Unfortunately now I have a half-installation between .99.2
and 1.0 and my panel won't work anymore.
Okay, I got tired of waiting for the "solution", so I poked around the
rpm code. Then I noticed a "rebuilddb" option. Hmmm.. why did I
never see that when I looked in the man page? Oh, there it is, with a
one line description. So I tried it out and it worked for me.
got rid of the "corruption". One of the db blocks was listed in the
free list but wasn't free or something. This doesn't explain why it
got corrupted in the first place, but at least I'm running again.
Maybe this will help someone else who, like me, doesn't know very much
Sorry, I dunno what the original problem is/was so there is
no solution yet because we can't reproduce the problem here.
But the work around is indeed
In short, "me too".
I got the same error, got it installing the GNOME 1.01 RPMs, and fixed
it (apparantly) with "rpm --rebuilddb".
I believe this problem is caused by attempting to install two versions
of the same package simultaneously, as in
rpm -U foo*.i386.rpm foo*.i386.rpm
For now (and probably the near future): Don't do that!
And if you do happen to install 2 versions of the same package
simultaneously, you will need to do "rpm --rebuilddb"
The usual trigger for this problem is when two nearly identical
copies of an rpm are being installed on the same command line.
For now, the work around is "Don't do that." And if you did do
that, remember to do
rpm-4.0 uses Berkeley db-3.1.14 to avoid "free list corrupt' problems with the