1. Create a VM that SAT (6.3.0) is not aware of (preferably behind NAT)
2. Simulate that `hostname -f` fails for on the VM
# cat > /usr/bin/hostname <<<'exit 1'
3. Install CA consumer certs
# rpm -Uvh http://$SAT/pub/katello-ca-consumer-latest.noarch.rpm
4. Check contents of /etc/rhsm/facts/katello.facts
# cat /etc/rhsm/facts/katello.facts
cat: /etc/rhsm/facts/katello.facts: No such file or directory
5. Register new (not yet registered) host
# subscription-manager register --username admin --password changeme
Registering to: <SAT_FQDN>:443/rhsm
The system has been registered with ID: 26e6fed3-de03-4273-bcfd-2bed451e2aa6
>>> the new host registration succeeds regardless of /etc/rhsm/facts/katello.facts content
Since the problem described in this bug report should be resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.