Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 143698
Too many included dictionaries cause performance problems in OOo
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:57 EST
Not everybody seems to have this problem (according to #fedora on IRC), but I
have it on both my home machine and work machine.
Basically, if I right-click on a misspelled word, OOo locks up for about two or
three minutes, sometimes even locking up X, while I wait for it to load in a lot
I ran it through strace, and I found out that it was loading every dictionary
for every language when I right-clicked on a word.
To check if it was my settings, I deleted ~/.rhopenoffice* and ~/.openoffice*
and ran OOo again. The same problem occured, even with default settings.
If I edit /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/share/dict/ooo/dictionary.lst to include only the
en_US dictionaries, then the problem doesn't occur. It's perfectly fast.
So, a few questions:
(1) Why aren't these dictionaries in the -i18n package?
(2) Why is OOo searching all dictionaries when I haven't told it to, and my
Language Settings are correctly set to their default settings?
If it's relevant, both installations were upgraded from FC1 -> FC2 -> FC3.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Turn on AutoCheck for Spelling.
2. Type a misspelled word.
3. Right-click on that word.
Hard Drive spins for two minutes, OOo grows huge in RAM.
Right-click menu comes up immediately.
Here's the output of "ls /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/share/dict/ooo/":
bg_BG.aff en_NZ.aff hyph_fr_FR.dic pl_PL.dic
bg_BG.dic en_NZ.dic hyph_hu_HU.dic pt_BR.aff
ca_ES.aff en_US.aff hyph_it_IT.dic pt_BR.dic
ca_ES.dic en_US.dic hyph_nl_NL.dic pt_PT.aff
da_DK.aff es_ES.aff hyph_pl_PL.dic pt_PT.dic
da_DK.dic es_ES.dic hyph_pt_BR.dic README_en_GB.txt
de_AT.aff es_MX.aff hyph_pt_PT.dic README_it_IT.txt
de_AT.dic es_MX.dic hyph_ru_RU.dic ru_RU.aff
de_CH.aff FontOOo.sxw hyph_sk_SK.dic ru_RU.dic
de_CH.dic fr_FR.aff hyph_sl_SI.dic sk_SK.aff
de_DE.aff fr_FR.dic hyph_sv_SE.dic sk_SK.dic
de_DE.dic hr_HR.aff hyph_uk_UA.dic sl_SI.aff
DicOOo.sxw hr_HR.dic it_IT.aff sl_SI.dic
dictionary.lst hu_HU.aff it_IT.dic sv_SE.aff
dictionary.lst.old hu_HU.dic la_LA.aff sv_SE.dic
el_GR.aff hyph_da_DK.dic la_LA.dic th_de_DE.dat
el_GR.dic hyph_de_CH.dic nb_NO.aff th_de_DE.idx
en_AU.aff hyph_de_DE.dic nb_NO.dic th_en_US.dat
en_AU.dic hyph_en_CA.dic nl_NL.aff th_en_US.idx
en_CA.aff hyph_en_GB.dic nl_NL.dic th_hu_HU.dat
en_CA.dic hyph_en_US.dic nn_NO.aff th_hu_HU.idx
en_GB.aff hyph_es_ES.dic nn_NO.dic uk_UA.aff
en_GB.dic hyph_fr_BE.dic pl_PL.aff uk_UA.dic
Created attachment 109107 [details]
My very-long dictionary.lst
This is a dup of bug 124374
Ah, you're right. I suspect that bug has so many dupes because it doesn't have
the word "spell checker" or "dictionary" in the summary. :-)
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 124374 ***