Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 143725
grub-install fails to install stage1 on MBR
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:57 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041020
Description of problem:
grub-install of grub-0.95-5 won't install the stage1 program
on the MBR of the IDE disk (/dev/hda) of my laptop.
After several attempts in vain, I extracted another grub-install
from grub-0.95-3 RPM in FC3 distribution set and found
it successfully installed stage1 code on the MBR.
I compared the two versions of grub-install scripts and found a
difference in the 'setup' command lines given to grub.
(0.95-3) setup $force_lba --stage2=$grubdir/stage2
(0.95-5) setup $force_lba --stage2=$grubdir/stage2
I think $root_drive should not come in place of a install device.
(But I don't know how to correct this as the script is being
complicated to support RAID1.)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
- /dev/hda is the only HDD of a PC.
- Fedora Core is already installed in /dev/hda2 (/boot) and
- grub is installed on /dev/hda.
- grub RPM is updated to 0.95-5.
1. Install Windows XP in /dev/hda1, and let the Windows installer
overwrite the MBR of /dev/hda.
(on which the first stage of grub was previously installed.)
2. Boot with FC3 CD disc 1 in rescue mode. (boot: linux rescue)
3. Mount the Fedora Core partitions under /mnt/sysimage as
the Fedora Core installer suggests.
4. chroot to /mnt/sysimage. (# /usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/sysimage)
5. Run grub-install. (# /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda)
Actual Results: stage1 boot loader was installed on /dev/hda2
instead of the MBR of /dev/hda. (The MBR was left intact.)
Expected Results: stage1 boot loader should be installed on
the MBR of /dev/hda.
I think I've fixed this in in -6.
I don't have a windows box but I simulated the failure with 2 linux installs.