1. Proposed title of this feature request
[RFE] yum timeout and retries should be configurable in kickstart file
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
kickstart file should have a section twhich makes it possible to set at least retries and timeout for yum installed during installation.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
When running many parallel installtions from satellite one can reach a point at which satellite is too slow and is no longer delivering content in time and installtiona starts failing after maximum timeout and retries are exeeded. Reaching this state when patching can be avoided by increasing timeout and retries but this is currently not possible during installation even if a pre script is used setting the values it is overwritten by anaconda prior installation starts. So in order to be able to kick off and run many parallel installtions at once it would be good to be able to set suitable values in kickstart file.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
Introduce a yum section in kickstart file making it possible to at least set retries and timeout value for yum appropriate to customers needs
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
introduce as listed in 5 and kick off a lot of parallel installations and see if at least some of them fail with default settings. After that try again with changed values and check installations are slow but succeed in the end.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
Could not find any
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
no, the sooner the better
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. List any affected packages or components.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
we have implemented --timeout and --retries options for the %packages section in a kickstart file. These options are written to the yum configuration file and they are not used in any other way for now. However, we are not sure if it will fix all mentioned problems. Could the customer test the updates image and provide logs from failing installations, if there are any?
A boot option for RHEL 7.4 installation:
Kickstart options for setting yum's timeout and retries:
%packages --timeout=30 --retries=10
Fixed in a pull request: https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/pull/1208
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.