Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 145253
Patch to fix RSS generation for Live Bookmarks
Last modified: 2014-01-21 17:51:14 EST
The included patch fixes the RSS generation for yum making it
compatible with Firefox's Live Bookmarks, as well as improving the
visual appearance in Sage.
Created attachment 109831 [details]
Patch to yum for RSS generation
So I like the top part of your patch. Sorting by day to print the most
recent ones in the list first. That makes sense. I'm a bit confused by
the second part. It seems a bit odd to remove the xhtml tag to allow
it to be prettier in sage. Wouldn't it make more sense to fix Sage to
work better with xhtml inside rss feeds?
And what's wrong with the package being keyed on the pkgid?
Ah ha - I just pulled it up in sage - I can see why that might be
annoying. Are you sure it's not just a problem in sage? Liferea
appears to render it correctly as does the feedparser used in the
The main problem isn't Sage, it's Live Bookmarks. It likes neither the
body nor guid tags.
It seems to not have a problem with the live bookmarks and guid tags from:
I don't see any body tags in that feed. And I didn't completely
diagnose what the issue was with the guid tag.
Huh. The guid needs a protocol in front of it. "sha1:" anyone?
And while we're at it, it would be handy to be able to specify the
channel's title, link, and description on the command-line, as well as
override the URL used in the item link and be able to specify a
suffix, e.g., ".html".
How about this.
I think I'm going to pull the generate-rss support from yum.
I wrote this last night:
Would you care to spruce that up nicely?
Created attachment 111320 [details]
Spruced-up RSS generation script
Looks like there's a small bug in the OptionParser bit whereby it prints
"%default" instead of the default. Maybe it's because I'm on 2.3.4 still.
But the rest looks good and works great.
Oh, and the -r option appears to be broken. I don't think this is the scripts
fault though. Maybe it's yum's. I'm running 2.1.13.
Created attachment 111865 [details]
Latest revision of repo-rss.py
Just thought I'd add the latest revision I made. Now adds the option to specify
a base URL for e.g. if you're generating the RSS against files on a drive but
need the links to point to files on the web.
The rss stuff is no longer in yum itself. If there are problems with the code
in yum-utils, please file a report about that.