Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1461014
[RFE] log watching and alerting function in OCP
Last modified: 2017-11-08 04:20:55 EST
1. Proposed title of this feature request
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
We would like a generic capability to watch/tail logs generated by pods and execute actions if certain strings appear in the logs. For example, call a predefined API endpoint when string "failure" appears in stdout for a given pod.
We are aware of options to send logs to multiple destinations using fluentd, ask is for this capability to be present within OCP itself.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
As a developer for OpenShift, I want to be notified any time my application running on OpenShift emits an error message. I don't want to write code myself to maintain this feature nor do I want to rely on external tools or integrations - I want to have an integrated experience with a standard and supported API.
Specific ask from one of our teams was to create an incident every time a certain message appears in the application logs. We are trying to push as much as we can to self service by developers and don't want the platform team to maintain or write any custom integrations.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
By triggering and watching for pod logs/events.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
10. List any affected packages or components.