Bug 146456 - dialog doesn't display German letters correctly
dialog doesn't display German letters correctly
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: dialog (Show other bugs)
1
i686 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Harald Hoyer
Ben Levenson
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-01-28 09:04 EST by Stefan Kutzke
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:10 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-01-28 09:10:49 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Stefan Kutzke 2005-01-28 09:04:49 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

Description of problem:
dialog doesn't display some German letters correctly, e.g.
Umlaut-A ("Latin capital letter A with diaeresis")

My current settings are:
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
TERM=linux
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
LC_xxx=de_DE.UTF-8
keyboard and console in unicode mode
keymap de-latin1-nodeadkeys

I have tried out different terminal types, charsets, locales and so on
- nothing is okay.

Here's in examples for something what's going wrong:
...
$DLG --title "Hauptmenü" --menu "Auswahl" 0 0 0 \
        "1" "AAA" "2" "BBB" 2> $tempfile
...

If I type Umlaute in an inputbox then I only see wrong letters on the
screen, but the returned string (stderr) is correct.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
dialog-1.0.20043107-3.i386.rpm

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. put some German Umlaute in dialog shell scripts
2. run script
3. have a look at wrong display
4. have a look at correct stderr output
    

Actual Results:  German Umlaute will be displayed wrong

Expected Results:  German Umlaute should be display as the are ( ä ö ü
Ä Ö Ü ß)

Additional info:

I know this problem since FC1 (dialog-0.9b-20031002.1) and it maybe
occur in earlier versions, too.

I use dialog in a shell script that can restore individual files from
a tar archive. My customer is a little bit confused about seeing file
or directory names which are displayed wrong in a checklist:
  [X] /home/user1/profile/Startmen??/Zubeh??r/...
but restored correctly:
  /home/user1/profile/Startmenü/Zubehör/...
Comment 1 Harald Hoyer 2005-01-28 09:10:49 EST
fixed in FC3
Comment 2 Stefan Kutzke 2005-02-08 08:18:00 EST
I tried dialog-1.0.20040731-3.i386.rpm from FC3 - problem is still the
same. Newer version of dialog need a newer glibc...
Comment 3 Stefan Kutzke 2005-02-25 03:41:12 EST
That's a problem of UTF-8.
Now I use the following settings and anything works as aspected.

/etc/sysconfig/i18n:
LANG="de_DE"

keyboard:
de-latin1-nodeadkeys

/etc/samba/smb.conf:
unix charset = ISO8859-15
display charset = ISO8859-15

This applies to RHEL3, too. Disabling the default unicode mode solves my problems.
Comment 4 Harald Hoyer 2005-02-25 07:26:24 EST
well, the client and server charsets have to be the same... too bad the most
protocols (smb, telnet, ssh) do not handshake this...

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.