Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 14661
gnome-config links against libdb1, packaged programs are linked against libdb (aka libdb2)
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:57 EDT
When compiling a program that uses the GNOME libs, it gets linked against
programs included in the official packages are linked against libdb
(libdb2). IMO gnome-libs
should be repackaged so that gnome-config uses libdb2 instead of libdb1.
You had me worried with this bug problem, but I think the problem
is not there:
libdb.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdb.so.2 (0x4012b000)
ls -l /usr/lib/libdb.so.2
/usr/lib/libdb.so.2 -> libdb1.so.2
Please reopen the bug if I am wrong.
We can't change what gnome-libs uses, because users have
~/.gnome/metadata.db in their home directory, and event
if we write a migration tool, we'd then be broken for
mixed 6.2, 7.0 installations at a single site.
Our decision on this, as I recall is to stick with db1
format until gnome2, which will be getting rid of
I think I got misunderstood --
what I wanted to propose was that the build of gnome-libs gets
changed in a way that programs compiled with some `gnome-config
--libs gnomeui` are linked in the same way as the packaged programs
(it looks like a discrepancy between the build system -- which links
against libdb -- and /usr/lib/gnomeConf.sh from gnome-libs-devel
which causes subsequent compilations to link against libdb1.
If anything is still unclear (or I'm just talking rubbish), please contact me.
I still don't understand. gnome-config includes -ldb1.
The soname for -ldb1 is libdb.so.2. This is the library that
the packaged programs are linked against. Thus, I assume they
were built against -ldb1...
I just checked it on a beta5 system and there
-ldb1 resolves to libdb.so.2 (as you said).
The problem occurred on an older beta, it
was probably triggered by something else --
I could think of a libdb1.so pointing to a
libdb1.so.xxx instead of libdb.so.2 -- which
obviously has been fixed in the meantime.
We found this as we packaged something
using the GNOME libs and it definitely
needed a libdb1.so to be installed instead
the GNOME stuff shipped with the beta
which needed libdb.so.