From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1)
Description of problem:
There are various not-RedHat-supplied qlogic drivers the customers may
use (shipped by EMC, shipped by HP, etc). It is normally very
confusing when qlogic bugs are reported to GSS. To ease the pain, the
earlier kernels add an "RH" text into the driver version string. This
gives support group a clear indication where to look for the driver
source, or at least raise an alarm for support to ask the right
questions.Somehow the newer kernel removes this string extention.
Could we put it back ?
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
Hi, Wendy. The "RH" extension makes sense if our version of the driver
(at a given QLogic version level) deviates in some way from the original.
I don't know whether our current 7.01.01 version does, so I'll leave it
to Tom to investigate and follow up.
Unless there are legal issues, I prefer seeing "RH" string gets
appended even we take the code from qlogic without any changes. There
are just too many variations of qlogic drivers.
We in support don't have the luxury to immediately turn the customers
away whenever we see a tainted kernel and "which qlogic driver" has
been in too many confusing conversations.
The -RH string was added in U5 and U7. We will try to continue this in the future.
In RHEL 4 GOLD and U1 we have the Qlogic driver from upstream. If we update it
in the future I expect we will have to customize it a bit, so we will add -RH then.
A fix for this problem was committed to the RHEL3 U5 patch pool
on 16-Feb-2005 (in kernel version 2.4.21-27.15.EL).
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.