Bug 146730 - Mailman annals in iso-8859-1, apache default charset utf-8
Mailman annals in iso-8859-1, apache default charset utf-8
Status: CLOSED CANTFIX
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: mailman (Show other bugs)
3
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Harald Hoyer
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-01-31 21:44 EST by Horst H. von Brand
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:10 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-01-13 14:55:15 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Horst H. von Brand 2005-01-31 21:44:18 EST
Description of problem:
Annals show wrong here, as they are stored in iso-8859-1, but apache announces
utf-8.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
mailman-2.1.5-26
httpd-2.0.52-3.1

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Send a latin-1 message to a mailing list
2. Look it up in the annals
3.
  
Actual results:
Accented characters show wrongly

Expected results:
Correct display

Additional info:
Comment 1 John Dennis 2005-02-15 16:58:31 EST
I'm confused by your assertion that the archives are stored in
iso-8859-1 (e.g. latin-1). Using the default archiver that comes with
mailman HyperArch, everything is converted to unicode.

I tested by sending a iso-8859-1 to a test list, it was properly
converted to unicode, the meta tag was UTF-8, and apache sent the
encoding in the HTML header as UTF-8, and the latin-1 message was
properly displayed (I tested with character 0xA9, copyright).

If you still believe there is a problem then please attach (not in the
comment section) the full source including all headers of the latin-1
message as received directly (not via the mailman list, e.g. sent to
the list and cc yourself), and the html page source from the brower
displayed archive message.
Comment 2 John Dennis 2005-02-15 17:28:37 EST
By any chance do you have your list set to perform language
translations? If so what language?
Comment 3 javier wilson 2005-04-26 10:58:26 EDT
I have the same problem with RHEL4. And i don't think it has something to do
with the messages themselves. Since part of the footer "Mas información..." or
"Próximo mensaje" (spanish) is displayed wrong (in iso-8859-1 when the page
encoding is utf-8),

Note, this only happens when i use spanish as a default language for a mailing
list, for english lists, utf-8 is displayed with no problems. So I guess, the
header should be changed to iso-8859-1 when spanish is used.

I know it's not FC3, but i guess it's the same problem.
I'm using:

mailman-2.1.5-33.rhel4
httpd-2.0.52-9.ent
Comment 4 John Thacker 2007-01-13 14:55:15 EST
(This is a mass update to bugs which have been in NEEDINFO unmodified for over a
year and are for a currently unsupported version of Fedora Core.)

Closing per lack of response to previous request for information.
This bug was originally filed against a much earlier version of Fedora
Core, and significant changes have taken place since the last version
for which this bug is confirmed.

Note that FC3 and FC4 are supported by Fedora Legacy for security
fixes only.  Please install a still supported version and retest.  If
it still occurs on FC5 or FC6, please reopen and assign to the correct
version.  Otherwise, if this a security issue, please change the
product to Fedora Legacy.  Thanks, and we are sorry that we did not
get to this bug earlier.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.