Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 146846
httpd won't start. Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/libphp4.so into server: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3: undefined symbol: tld_strerror
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:59 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Description of problem:
When trying to start httpd after updating the system w/ yum on 1 Feb.
2005, httpd startup process fails complaining that it cannot start due
to an undefined symbol in a curl lib.
[root@localhost log]# /sbin/service httpd start
Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 6 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf:
Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/libphp4.so into server:
/usr/lib/libcurl.so.3: undefined symbol: tld_strerror
The version of curl installed:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Try to start httpd w/ any method: service, /etc/init.d, /usr/sbin/httpd
2. Get syntax error on undefined symbol
Actual Results: Received error stating that libphp4.so could not be
loaded due to an undefined symbol, tld_strerror, in /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3.
Expected Results: httpd should've started
httpd worked until updating curl and curl-devel today.
Works fine for me. Did you --nodeps an upgrade? Was this system
upgraded from Fedora Core 2? What's the output of:
# ldd /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3
# rpm -q libidn
# ls -l /usr/lib/libidn.so.*
# ldd /usr/lib/libidn.so.*
Created attachment 110547 [details]
libcurl, libidn debug output
This was a fresh install of Fedora Core 3. I did the update of curl
and curl-devel w/ 'yum -y update curl curl-devel'. I noticed on a
couple of other FC3 systems that I cannot recreate the bug. They all
have the distinction of not having been rebooted. I'm not sure if that
makes a difference, but it's the one main difference I can think of
between those systems and the problem system.
I saw that libidn and libidn-devel were not the same version as the
other systems. Not sure how that happened since I only use yum to
update them and they're all pulling from the same repository. Anywho,
I updated libidn and libidn-devel using rpm instead of yum and all
seems to work now. I'll mark this as 'Not a bug' and note that the
problem is between the keyboard and chair.