Bug 1470476 - sensors-detect didn't correctly identified all HWMON_MODULES
sensors-detect didn't correctly identified all HWMON_MODULES
Status: NEW
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: lm_sensors (Show other bugs)
26
x86_64 Linux
unspecified Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jaromír Cápík
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-07-12 22:24 EDT by Dmitry Burstein
Modified: 2017-07-24 16:07 EDT (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed:
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Dmitry Burstein 2017-07-12 22:24:22 EDT
Description of problem:
When running 'sensors-detect' the only module that was written to the config file was 'coretemp'. Before upgrading to f26, there was one additional module: 'nct6775'.
When I have added the second module manually, it did provide all the relevant information.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
3.4.0

How reproducible:
every time

Steps to Reproduce:
1.run 'sensors-detect'
2.
3.

Actual results:
HWMON_MODULES="coretemp"

Expected results:
HWMON_MODULES="coretemp nct6775"

Additional info:
When running the 'sensors-detect' command reports frequently:
"/dev/port: No such file or directory"
Comment 1 Norbert Jurkeit 2017-07-14 10:32:08 EDT
Same here. Super IO chips were detected in my initial installation of Fedora 25, but not now with the latest installed kernels, probably because /dev/port has vanished between kernel version 4.8 and 4.11.
Comment 2 Hans de Goede 2017-07-21 15:09:15 EDT
Hi,

(In reply to Norbert Jurkeit from comment #1)
> Same here. Super IO chips were detected in my initial installation of Fedora
> 25, but not now with the latest installed kernels, probably because
> /dev/port has vanished between kernel version 4.8 and 4.11.

Hmm, are you using secure boot by any chance ? Can you try turning it off ?

I think this is caused by secureboot (rightfully so) disallowing userspace accesses to io-ports...

Regards,

Hans
Comment 3 Norbert Jurkeit 2017-07-22 10:24:37 EDT
(In reply to Hans de Goede from comment #2)
> I think this is caused by secureboot (rightfully so) disallowing userspace
> accesses to io-ports...

Good point, but secureboot doesn't seem to cause the problem. My new notebook has enabled secureboot by default, but /dev/port is also missing with disabled secureboot and on 2 older computers of mine with legacy BIOS (in fact, the built-in Winbond Super I/O chips are no longer detected on those old boxes). On the other side, /dev/port is present even with enabled secureboot when I boot a Fedora 25 live image with kernel 4.8.6.

Recently I noticed another bug report 1451220 which also addresses this issue and indicates that it will be resolved with the next kernel update.

BR,
Norbert
Comment 4 Hans de Goede 2017-07-22 13:58:43 EDT
Hi,

(In reply to Norbert Jurkeit from comment #3)
> (In reply to Hans de Goede from comment #2)
> > I think this is caused by secureboot (rightfully so) disallowing userspace
> > accesses to io-ports...
> 
> Good point, but secureboot doesn't seem to cause the problem. My new
> notebook has enabled secureboot by default, but /dev/port is also missing
> with disabled secureboot and on 2 older computers of mine with legacy BIOS
> (in fact, the built-in Winbond Super I/O chips are no longer detected on
> those old boxes). On the other side, /dev/port is present even with enabled
> secureboot when I boot a Fedora 25 live image with kernel 4.8.6.
> 
> Recently I noticed another bug report 1451220 which also addresses this
> issue and indicates that it will be resolved with the next kernel update.

Tip if you refer to other bugs do so as bug <nr> e.g. bug 1451220 then bugzilla will make it a clickable link.

OK, so bug 1451220 shows that this is a kernel-config issue. Would be interesting to know if the fixed kernel will work with secure boot (that would actually be a secure-boot bug I think).

Regards,

Hans
Comment 5 Norbert Jurkeit 2017-07-23 11:09:47 EDT
(In reply to Hans de Goede from comment #4)
> OK, so bug 1451220 shows that this is a kernel-config issue. Would be
> interesting to know if the fixed kernel will work with secure boot (that
> would actually be a secure-boot bug I think).

I just installed kernel 4.11.11 on Fedora 26 and that fixes the issue for me.

Regarding secure boot, it doesn't matter whether it is enabled or disabled on my new notebook: /dev/port is present and sensors-detect says "Found unknown chip with ID 0xfc11" (which is not unusual for lm-sensors on new hardware, but future support is uncertain as the project seems to be abandoned).

Regards,

Norbert
Comment 6 Hans de Goede 2017-07-24 03:38:52 EDT
Hi,

(In reply to Norbert Jurkeit from comment #5)
> (In reply to Hans de Goede from comment #4)
> > OK, so bug 1451220 shows that this is a kernel-config issue. Would be
> > interesting to know if the fixed kernel will work with secure boot (that
> > would actually be a secure-boot bug I think).
> 
> I just installed kernel 4.11.11 on Fedora 26 and that fixes the issue for me.
> 
> Regarding secure boot, it doesn't matter whether it is enabled or disabled
> on my new notebook: /dev/port is present and sensors-detect says "Found
> unknown chip with ID 0xfc11"

Hmm, that is unexpected. /dev/port access really should be blocked when secure-boot is used. I've mailed our secure-boot maintainer about this.

Regards,

Hans
Comment 7 Norbert Jurkeit 2017-07-24 08:00:08 EDT
(In reply to Hans de Goede from comment #6)
> Hmm, that is unexpected. /dev/port access really should be blocked when
> secure-boot is used. I've mailed our secure-boot maintainer about this.

I have to correct myself. Due to a non-standard bootloader configuration, I have used the grub2 files installed with Fedora 25 also to boot Fedora 26. A closer look revealed that gcdx64.efi and grubx64.efi differ between both releases and I just copied the Fedora 26 versions to the EFI system partition.

With secure boot enabled, /dev/port is still present, but now sensors-detect says "/dev/port: operation not permitted". This is probably what you expected.

Sorry for causing confusion!

Regards,

Norbert
Comment 8 Dmitry Burstein 2017-07-24 16:07:49 EDT
Updated to kernel 4.11.11 - problem solved!

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.