Bug 1472843 - [v2v] Add a warning to user, in case trying to run v2v for windows VM, without installing the required drivers
[v2v] Add a warning to user, in case trying to run v2v for windows VM, withou...
Status: VERIFIED
Product: Red Hat CloudForms Management Engine
Classification: Red Hat
Component: Providers (Show other bugs)
5.8.0
Unspecified Unspecified
medium Severity medium
: GA
: 5.9.0
Assigned To: Tomas Jelinek
Ilanit Stein
rhev:v2v
: TestOnly, ZStream
Depends On:
Blocks: 1512955
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-07-19 09:56 EDT by Ilanit Stein
Modified: 2018-01-09 11:44 EST (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: 5.9.0.1
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
: 1512955 (view as bug list)
Environment:
Last Closed:
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: Bug
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: RHEVM


Attachments (Terms of Use)
import_warning_message.png (129.54 KB, image/png)
2017-07-20 09:34 EDT, Ilanit Stein
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Ilanit Stein 2017-07-19 09:56:35 EDT
Description of problem:
On CFME/v2v dialog, Install drivers field should:
1. Not appear for a RHEL source VM.
2. Appear or a Windows source VM. 
   If there are no drivers installed, the driver install should be enforced 
   (That is do not allow to run the v2v operation, unless drivers are chosen to 
    be installed)
  
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
CFME-5.8.1+v2v bug fixes.

Actual results:
The problem that we see now without having the above implemented,
that a windows source VM that do not have drivers installed, will be imported,
but will not be able to run windows (the disk type on destination should be VIRTIO, so even if source disk type was IDE, the virtio-win drivers are required)

Expected results:
There should be install drivers enforcement, for a windows VM, if drivers are not already installed in the source VM. 
Need to add a warning to user, when trying to submit the v2v operation, in such a case.
Comment 2 Michal Skrivanek 2017-07-20 02:40:39 EDT
(In reply to Ilanit Stein from comment #0)
> Description of problem:
> On CFME/v2v dialog, Install drivers field should:
> 1. Not appear for a RHEL source VM.

The OS identification is done by virt-v2v, it's best to let it decide if it needs anything from the drivers iso or not. 

> 2. Appear or a Windows source VM. 
>    If there are no drivers installed, the driver install should be enforced 
>    (That is do not allow to run the v2v operation, unless drivers are chosen
> to 
>     be installed)

that would be different from RHV - drivers are highly recommended, but not mandatory.

> Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
> CFME-5.8.1+v2v bug fixes.
> 
> Actual results:
> The problem that we see now without having the above implemented,
> that a windows source VM that do not have drivers installed, will be
> imported,
> but will not be able to run windows (the disk type on destination should be
> VIRTIO, so even if source disk type was IDE, the virtio-win drivers are
> required)
> 
> Expected results:
> There should be install drivers enforcement, for a windows VM, if drivers
> are not already installed in the source VM. 
> Need to add a warning to user, when trying to submit the v2v operation, in
> such a case.

Yes, warning is a good idea. That can be OS specific, since it's just a recommendation
Comment 3 Ilanit Stein 2017-07-20 09:33:18 EDT
Based on Michal's inputs from comment #2, and 
this input I got from Michal S./mbetak, on a separate session: 
On CFME side, there is no info on the drivers installed on the source VM, 

The following can't be implemented: 

1. enforcement of install drivers, if the required drivers are missing.
2. list only the relevant drivers in the drivers list.

Therefore, this bug is narrowed into: 
Add a warning similar to the warning we have on RHV,
when running v2v without installing drivers.

See attached RHV warning screenshot "import_warning_message.png"
Comment 4 Ilanit Stein 2017-07-20 09:34 EDT
Created attachment 1301745 [details]
import_warning_message.png
Comment 5 Tomas Jelinek 2017-08-11 10:09:21 EDT
It will be solved by checking the "Install Windows Drivers" checkbox by default when the source OS is windows. This way without selecting a driver you will get a validation message on dialog submit.
Comment 6 Michal Skrivanek 2017-08-24 07:48:48 EDT
isn't it good enough now in 5.8.2?
Comment 7 Tomas Jelinek 2017-08-24 07:52:57 EDT
yes, Id say so
Comment 13 Ilanit Stein 2018-01-01 05:51:31 EST
Verified on CFME-5.9.0.14:
Windows VM: "Install Windows Drivers" checkbox is checked by default.
RHEL VM: "Install Windows Drivers" checkbox is NOT checked by default.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.