Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1474605
SHE deployment and Kdump Integration not straightforward
Last modified: 2018-05-01 04:55:07 EDT
Description of problem:
Objective: deploy SHE and have kdump integration enabled on first Hosted-Engine host (deployment host).
1. Deploy SHE
2. Host is added to RHV-M with default options (PM disabled, Kdump integration off).
Now to enable Kdump integration, we need to reinstall the host. To do this, we need to switch it to maintenance mode. Not possible yet.
So moving ahead:
3. Add initial Data Domain
4. Add second Hosted-Engine Host
5. Migrate the Hosted-Engine VM to second host
6. Switch initial host to maintenance mode
7. Configure Power Management and Kdump Integration via Administration Portal
8. Reinstall the first host
This doesn't sound too logical, step 8 feels like a workaround, that host was just deployed minutes ago. It's not well documented for SHE and customers get confused.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
- Process is not logical, host needs to be re-installed right after fresh installation.
- Impossible to enable Kdump integration if just 1 host in the SHE environment without falling back to manual steps.
- Admin Portal doesn't indicate host needs to be re-installed after checking the Kdump integration option.
Expected results: some improvements
- Enabling Kdump integration for the first host should be more straightforward and/or better documented.
- Could possibly pass Power Management options for the deployment host via hosted-engine-setup? Or kdump integration not depend on host-deploy.
We are not going to expose every possible configuration for the hosts from the engine during the first host installation, so we are not going to do an exception for kdump. You'll be able to set the first host once the second one is deployed as you described. Single host hosted engine is not a supported configuration.